Alex Montgomery tagged Marcos Bertamini's Never Again #DAresists #Medicare4all with approved 2017-09-19 23:40:31 -0400
As a former Officer of Marines, I essentially had fully socialised medicine or "Medicare" (Tri-care) from the government in that if I or any member of my family had a medical issue, we simply made an appointment, went in and received the care and any medication required without any worry that any single or multiple medical condition/issue would ever harm us financially in any way. No calls about billing, no exorbitant costs - i.e. no worries. After serving our nation for 11 years, I separated from the service and found myself with a civilian employer in the US. One night, our child grew dangerously ill and we felt compelled to take him to the ER in the middle of the night. At the end of it all, he spent one night in the hospital, was given Pedialite and had one IV inserted in his arm to re-hydrate him. We were shocked with a bill for over 5,000 Dollars (this was in 2005). I had full coverage insurance through my employer and overlap with Tri-care. Neither insurance company wanted to pay and the hospital came after us for the hyper-inflated bill. Considering that I was fully insured, I refused to pay. The battle went on for 5 years and finally Tri-care and my private insurer agreed to pay the hospital. What a nightmare... I have now been living with my family and working in Hong Kong for over 10 years. My employer gives me a medical card and my monthly medical payments are miniscule. I have full coverage medical care for myself and my family in Hong Kong and in the Unites States. Additionally, we have no co-pay for any visits and there are no worries. I do not ever want to go back to the system in the United States which has the highest medical costs and the constant worry of inflated and overpriced medical bills and the worry of possible bankruptcy around the corner because of an unforeseen medical condition. We receive top-notch care here in Hong Kong top quality medical care here in Hong Kong and costs are kept very low removing the worry of financial hardship. I have sampled many different medical systems throughout the world and they constantly demonstrate to me that the system in the U.S. is overpriced and undully hurts those that are less well off. I am a believer in medicare for all and the Affordable Care Act. No one should be ever be penalized financially for falling ill.
Alex Montgomery tagged Bryce Kositz's Survival is not a Pre-existing Condition #DAresists #Medicare4all with approved 2017-09-19 23:40:01 -0400
My partner has beaten cancer twice. Her spirit and willpower to beat it are a daily inspiration to me. But under any of the GOP's plans, her survival is considered a pre-existing condition and we would not be able to afford insurance. Here in Australia she received the medical care she needed to beat cancer, as have so many others that we met during her treatment, and she has gone on to get her Masters degree and contribute to Australia. Forcing Americans to choose between death and bankruptcy will not make our country great. It's time to not repeal the ACA, but develop it into Medicare for All.
Alex Montgomery tagged Richard Pierce's If It Can Happen to Me, It Can Happen to Anyone #DAresists #Medicare4all with approved 2017-09-19 23:40:47 -0400
American society has made life easy for me because I am male, white, and straight, and I don't have any disabilities. So you would think that I would never have to go without my basic, Human needs being met by my society. Such as basic healthcare. But life is complicated, and in 2004, my basic needs DID go unmet by my society. I was between jobs, had to go to the emergency room for heat exhaustion, and ended up with a $2800 bill, which I didn't have the money for. I was scared. I wrote to the hospital and told them this, and they forgave almost all of the bill. But is that the way it's supposed to be in such a rich country? A citizen who supposedly is everything the society idealizes, no longer all that ideal when he suddenly needs healthcare? If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. And it does. Please give all Americans affordable health care. #DAresists #Medicare4all
Alex Montgomery tagged Kent Getsinger's Support Medicare For All! with approved 2017-09-18 14:13:29 -0400
Click below to receive periodic updates from the Taxation Task Force on our tax advocacy work. We will message you when there are important updates and developments to report.Sign up
Alex Montgomery published RESIDENCY BASED TAXATION CAMPAIGN in Taxation Task Force Blog 2017-07-07 00:16:13 -0400
RESIDENCY BASED TAXATION CAMPAIGN
Democrats Abroad is running a grassroots campaign in support of Residency Based Taxation.
The US is the only developed nation that taxes its citizens on income earned while they live abroad. This system is complicated, inefficient, and causes uncertainty for ordinary Americans living outside the US. Democrats Abroad favors Residency Based Taxation because it is a simpler, fairer, and more efficient system.
Ordinary Americans living outside the US, even those that earn very little income, are burdened not only with increasingly complex and costly forms and filings, we are also obliged to submit reports on our foreign accounts and other financial assets. For this reason, Democrats Abroad has supported Residency Based Taxation since our inception. It has been a high priority in our Platforms and on Capitol Hill during our Congressional Door Knocks.
Now that Congress is planning to introduce a comprehensive tax reform package the time is right for all aggrieved non-resident Americans to raise their voices and be heard on this matter. Democrats Abroad advocates for a system of Residency Based Taxation that introduces fundamental, common-sense reform while protecting American values of fairness and responsibility.
Click here for the Residency Based Taxation Campaign In A Box. It includes:
- Background on Residency Based Taxation
- Links to find elected representatives and their contact details
- Scripts for calls to elected reps
- Language for letters, postcards and emails to elected reps
- The link to our trackable RBT email campaign on the Democracy.io Congressional outreach platform
Contact Carmelan Polce at any time with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
COMPREHENSIVE TAX REFORM
We are working hard to see Residency Based Taxation included in the package of tax reforms moved by the 115th Congress. However, our support for any package of tax reforms will depend on whether it aligns with our Democratic Party values.
We believe Congress has an opportunity to enact common sense reforms that clarify and simplify filing and make the tax code fairer for all Americans. The advantages of changing to Residency Based Taxation must primarily benefit ordinary Americans living and working overseas, without enabling a few to take advantage of new loopholes.
Democrats Abroad has given careful consideration to the potential impact of a change to Residency Based Taxation. We support efforts being made to structure a Residency Based Taxation proposal (hyperlink to ACA webpage) that results in a policy that is revenue-neutral to the federal government. Because we would not, for example, abide a tax reform plan where school lunches were eliminated so that our taxes become simpler. Common sense tax reforms must not become a quid pro quo in order to starve programs that benefit children, the elderly or otherwise vulnerable Americans.
Democrats Abroad will only support reforms that help reduce inequality, boost opportunity and raise enough revenue to meet public needs, predominantly from those with the greatest ability to pay.
Alex Montgomery published Hillary Clinton Wishes Americans Abroad a Happy 4th of July in News 2016-07-04 06:20:53 -0400
Happy 4th of July!
Democrats Abroad is committed to a world where all persons have access to the same rights and benefits, regardless of sexual identity or gender expression.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Democrats Abroad LGBT Caucus is the constituency group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex members and any Democrat abroad who supports them.
The goals of the LGBT Caucus reflect the mission of Democrats Abroad to:
- engage and empower LGBTI Americans living abroad to vote in US elections;
- provide a platform for Democrats Abroad members, country committees and chapters to advance issues at the heart of the LGBTI community;
- support Democrats Abroad’s members in issues they face living abroad as LGBTI Americans, such as access to government services and benefits for same-sex spouses and family members, the legacy resulting from past discrimination and Defense of Marriage Act.
The LGBT Caucus:
- supports Democrats Abroad’s country committees and local chapters in organizing activities of interest to the LGBTI community, such as participation in pride events and voter outreach;
- disseminates information to Democrats Abroad members and promotes action on issues that affect LGBTI Americans and their families;
- ensures that the LGBTI perspective is effectively incorporated in all the work of Democrats Abroad, including issues advocacy, communication and GOTV strategy, planning and execution; ensures that issues and policies that impact LGBTI Americans are included in the Democrats Abroad and Democratic Party platforms;
- takes leadership in Democrats Abroad’s issues advocacy initiatives, including “door knock” visits to elected officials in Washington DC, to ensure that issues that impact LGBTI Americans living abroad and their families are included and addressed by elected representatives;
- encourages LGBTI members to run for elected leadership roles within Democrats Abroad and fulfill Democrats Abroad’s diversity and affirmative action goals;
- supports community building among Democrats Abroad’s LGBTI members and allies;
- promotes Democratic Party candidates who demonstrate commitment to policies that positively impact the lives of LGBTI Americans;
- supports and engages with Democratic Party LGBTI caucuses build capacity and achieve common goals.