Since the devastating election results in November, the Democratic Party has been working to choose new leadership for the Democratic National Committee (DNC) in order to meet the challenges of the Trump agenda and take back Congress in 2018 and the White House in 2020. Democrats Abroad's eight DNC Members are very much a part of this process - which will culminate in the DNC Officer elections in Atlanta on February 25.
Please visit: https://www.democrats.org/page/dnc-2016-officer-elections and use it as your go-to resource to get up-to-date information on the elections process, our Regional Future Forums, and links to live streams of our past Forums. Also, the DNC Director of Party Affairs put together a great post on medium outlining the elections process which can be found here: How DNC Officers Are Elected.
The Democrats Abroad DNC Members (each with half a vote) are:
As part of their decision-making, DA’s DNC Members have been holding joint conference calls with candidates to ask their views on issues, including where they see the Party going in the new Republican-dominated landscape and how they see the role of Democrats Abroad in helping Democrats win in the future. These calls have also allowed us to make Democrats Abroad efforts, accomplishments and challenges known to the candidates. The feedback so far has been great – with all candidates recognizing the tremendous potential of the overseas vote with its estimated 6.7 million eligible American voters.
Democrats Abroad DNC Members are also looking for input into this important decision from our membership. You can share your views by clicking here to send us your feedback on the DNC Chair and other Officer candidates. They will be read by DA’s DNC Members before they vote!
Democrats will elect a new Chair February 25 - as well as eight other officers in Atlanta. While candidates are able to enter the race up until the week of the Atlanta meeting, below is a list of currently announced candidates with their websites. (We'll be updating this info regularly.) In addition, Democrats Abroad has asked each candidate to submit responses to questions relevant to Democrats Abroad. You can read the answers of those who have responded by clicking on the “DA Questionnaire” link next to their name.
- Robert Vinson Brannum, NAACP-DC Veterans Committee Board Member - http://robertbrannum.com/
- Sally Boynton Brown, Executive Director of the Idaho Democratic Party since 2012 - http://wethednc.org/
- Raymond Buckley, chairman of the New Hampshire Democratic Party since 2007, current DNC Vice Chair, President of the Association of State Democratic Chairs - https://www.rayfordnc.com/plan/#the-path-forward
- Pete Buttigieg, Mayor, South Bend, IN - https://petefordnc.com/
- Keith Ellison, U.S. Representative from Minnesota since 2007 - https://keithfordnc.org/
- Jehmu Greene, former head of Rock the Vote
- Jaime Harrison, chairman of the South Carolina Democratic Party since 2013 - http://jaimefordncchair.com/
- Peter Peckarsky, Wisconsin
- Thomas Perez, United States Secretary of Labor since 2013 - https://www.tomperez.org/
- Sam Ronan, Ohio
- Vincent Tolliver, Georgia
For Vice Chair
- Michael Blake, New York State Assembly member - http://www.michaelblakefordnc.com/
- Melissa Byrne, founder of Project Springboard
- Mitchell Caesar, former Chair, Florida Democratic Party
- Maria Elena Durazo, incumbent DNC Vice Chair Contact Maria Google form
- Liz Jaff, head of Business Development for Crowdpac https://lizforvicechair.com/
- Lorna Johnson, Honorary Consul for Jamaica in L.A.
- LaToia Jones, former DNC Member - http://www.latoiajonesfordnc.com/
- Rep. Grace Meng, incumbent DNC Vice Chair
- Rick Palacio, Chair of Colorado Democratic Party Chair
- Adam Parkhomenko, DNC’s National Field Director for General Election - http://www.adamfordnc.com/
For Vice Chair for Civic Engagement and Voter Participation (Separate election)
- Karen Carter Peterson, Chair of Louisiana Democratic Party www.KarenCarterPeterson.com
- Melissa Fazli, California
- Chris Reeves, Kansa
- Yasmine Taeb, Virginia
- Ana Cuprill, Chair of Wyoming Democratic Party - http://anacuprill.ruck.us and https://www.facebook.com/YourChoice4DNCSec/
- Roberta Lange, Chair of Nevada Democratic Party - https://www.robertalange.com/my-message/
- Jason Rae, Wisconsin DNC Member - www.jasonrae.com
- Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, incumbent DNC Secretary
- Joyce Amico, Colorado http://joyceamico.wixsite.com/mysite
- William Derrough, New York
For Finance Chair
- Henry Muñoz, incumbent DNC Finance Chair
The DNC is hosting four candidate forums, one in each region. In addition, there have been several forums hosted by state parties and outside groups, such as the Huffington Post and the Color of Democracy Conference. DA’s DNC members have or will be attending or live streaming these meetings, including the December 1-3 meeting of the Association of State Democratic Chairs in Denver, the January 13-14 DNC-Western regional meeting in Phoenix, the February 3-4 DNC-Midwest regional meeting in Detroit and the February 10-11 DNC-East regional meeting in Baltimore.
These meetings, which are open to the public, are a great opportunity for DA’s DNC members to speak directly to the candidates – and other DNC Members – about the future of the Democratic Party and the vital role that Democrats Abroad will play if given the right resources. You can join in by going to the DNC website and checking out livestreams and videos of these events. They’re long but an inspiring message to all of us about how we can push back against the Republican tsunami!
The choice of DNC Chair and other DNC officers is important. While much would have been expected of our Party's leadership had we won, we all recognize even more is required now to help steer our Party in the right direction and towards victories in 2018 and 2020. Today the stakes are greater and our mission more challenging than it was a short three months ago.