In a last-ditch effort to destroy the Affordable Care Act, with no discussion or analysis, Senate Republicans have introduced the Graham-Cassidy plan which is nothing more than a state-by-state payout, manipulated to benefit Republican voting states and hurt Democratic voting states – all the while destroying access to affordable and adequate health insurance for tens of millions of people. Clearly the GOP is rushing to meet the September 30 deadline to pass something, anything, with only 51 votes.
According to PFAW (People for the American Way), the Graham-Cassidy plan:
- REPEALS health care -- but rather than propose a viable replacement, it hands block grants to the states, giving them autonomous management of their health care program that will EXPIRE in 2026.
- Slashes Medicaid expansion funding by a THIRD by 2026 and completely eliminates it by 2027.
- Entirely scraps subsidies for low-income people on Obamacare.
- Allows insurers to charge older customers FIVE TIMES more than younger ones.
- ENDS any protections against discriminating against patients with preexisting conditions leaving them vulnerable to skyrocketing rates or complete loss of coverage.
We know better than to trust the rhetoric without looking at the fine print – the Graham-Cassidy plan is NOT a solution and we must voice our disproval ASAP! We’ve done it before, let’s do it again – CALL YOUR SENATORS NOW!
Tell your Senators to vote NO on the Graham-Cassidy bill with a message like the one suggested by the Daily Kos – or your own words:
Hello, my name is xxxx calling from zip code xxxx. I am angry the Senate is considering a bill to slash Medicaid, defund Planned Parenthood and deny health insurance to millions. Please vote NO on Graham-Cassidy. I am a constituent, and I will remember your vote.
You can find your senators’ phone numbers and email address here.
We’d love to hear how your call went.
Do you like this page?