Democrats Abroad is committed to a world where all persons have access to the same rights and benefits, regardless of sexual identity or gender expression.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Democrats Abroad LGBT Caucus is the constituency group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex members and any Democrat abroad who supports them.
The goals of the LGBT Caucus reflect the mission of Democrats Abroad to:
- engage and empower LGBTI Americans living abroad to vote in US elections;
- provide a platform for Democrats Abroad members, country committees and chapters to advance issues at the heart of the LGBTI community;
- support Democrats Abroad’s members in issues they face living abroad as LGBTI Americans, such as access to government services and benefits for same-sex spouses and family members, the legacy resulting from past discrimination and Defense of Marriage Act.
The LGBT Caucus:
- supports Democrats Abroad’s country committees and local chapters in organizing activities of interest to the LGBTI community, such as participation in pride events and voter outreach;
- disseminates information to Democrats Abroad members and promotes action on issues that affect LGBTI Americans and their families;
- ensures that the LGBTI perspective is effectively incorporated in all the work of Democrats Abroad, including issues advocacy, communication and GOTV strategy, planning and execution; ensures that issues and policies that impact LGBTI Americans are included in the Democrats Abroad and Democratic Party platforms;
- takes leadership in Democrats Abroad’s issues advocacy initiatives, including “door knock” visits to elected officials in Washington DC, to ensure that issues that impact LGBTI Americans living abroad and their families are included and addressed by elected representatives;
- encourages LGBTI members to run for elected leadership roles within Democrats Abroad and fulfill Democrats Abroad’s diversity and affirmative action goals;
- supports community building among Democrats Abroad’s LGBTI members and allies;
- promotes Democratic Party candidates who demonstrate commitment to policies that positively impact the lives of LGBTI Americans;
- supports and engages with Democratic Party LGBTI caucuses build capacity and achieve common goals.
Join the Braunschweig Precinct at their booth for the Sommerlochfestival on Saturday, July 29th. Democrats Abroad Germany will be there and will be handing out information about being active in Democrats Abroad.
We will also have some of our new merchandise available to purchase, as well as plenty of postcards that you can use to write to your representatives back in the States.
If you are around, we would love for you to come say hi. Owen Jappen, Chair of DA Germany, and Quaide Williams, former Chair of DA Germany, will be at the booth. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Kenton Barnes (DAG-LGBT@democratsabroad.org).
Start your Pride with the Democrats Abroad LGBT Caucus for the Amsterdam Pride Walk. From the Homomonument to the Vondelpark. Gather from 11AM, set off for the park at noon.
Ahead of time we'll gather to create and pass out signs and we'll also have postcards you can fill out and send to your Represenatatives! Let them know you're paying attention and what matters most to you! #DAresists
Do you like this page?