We had an energizing "Post-Election Reflection", with many suggestions on how to move into actionable opposition mode. Here are a few:
- January 21st - Solidarity with the Women's March on Washington - we are requesting a permit to gather in Brussels in solidarity with the Women's March on Washington (objective on the event's national website, http://www.womensmarch.com). Pencil in the date (it's open to all, not just women!) and we will keep you posted on the event, particularly as we connect with others working in the same direction. If you'd like to volunteer to help out, let us know.
- Take the Overseas Vote Foundation Survey - http://www.research.net/r/USVote_2016_PostElectionSurvey - literally less than five minutes on a phone, laptop, or desktop. It is important that we get the data to improve our overseas voting efforts and ensure our voices as Americans abroad are heard. And as we discovered in our many Get Out the Vote efforts this past year, the challenges are many.
- Participate in DA's Congressional Call Storm - http://www.democratsabroad.org/congressional_call_storm - this is a targeted effort towards the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform to support investigations into Trump's conflicts of interest. It's a great way to act directly and also remind your state officials that they speak for Americans abroad, too.
- Take regular action through our Facebook page - our DAB Facebook Page is becoming our one-stop shop to collect the myriad of ideas that allow us to channel our anger and disappointment into concrete action. Like the page and scroll through for articles and suggestions.
- Volunteer to help out - DAB is in desperate need of an events coordinator, as we've had many suggestions for 2017 events but need the arms and legs to find venues and manage communication - estimated time commitment would be a couple of hours a week in the month leading up to the event. In a similar vein, the DPCA (Democratic Party Committee Abroad, aka DA Int’l) is looking for volunteers who’d be willing to spend at least 3hrs/week on the Communications team on an ongoing basis. Let me know if you’re interested in either.
And with that, I think we have enough to keep us busy through the upcoming holidays! May they be peaceful for you and your friends and family and may we start the new year with the same energy and momentum that we have today.
All the best,
Chair, Democrats Abroad Belgium