Democrats Abroad is committed to a world where all persons have access to the same rights and benefits, regardless of sexual identity or gender expression.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Democrats Abroad LGBT Caucus is the constituency group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex members and any Democrat abroad who supports them.
The goals of the LGBT Caucus reflect the mission of Democrats Abroad to:
- engage and empower LGBTI Americans living abroad to vote in US elections;
- provide a platform for Democrats Abroad members, country committees and chapters to advance issues at the heart of the LGBTI community;
- support Democrats Abroad’s members in issues they face living abroad as LGBTI Americans, such as access to government services and benefits for same-sex spouses and family members, the legacy resulting from past discrimination and Defense of Marriage Act.
The LGBT Caucus:
- supports Democrats Abroad’s country committees and local chapters in organizing activities of interest to the LGBTI community, such as participation in pride events and voter outreach;
- disseminates information to Democrats Abroad members and promotes action on issues that affect LGBTI Americans and their families;
- ensures that the LGBTI perspective is effectively incorporated in all the work of Democrats Abroad, including issues advocacy, communication and GOTV strategy, planning and execution; ensures that issues and policies that impact LGBTI Americans are included in the Democrats Abroad and Democratic Party platforms;
- takes leadership in Democrats Abroad’s issues advocacy initiatives, including “door knock” visits to elected officials in Washington DC, to ensure that issues that impact LGBTI Americans living abroad and their families are included and addressed by elected representatives;
- encourages LGBTI members to run for elected leadership roles within Democrats Abroad and fulfill Democrats Abroad’s diversity and affirmative action goals;
- supports community building among Democrats Abroad’s LGBTI members and allies;
- promotes Democratic Party candidates who demonstrate commitment to policies that positively impact the lives of LGBTI Americans;
- supports and engages with Democratic Party LGBTI caucuses build capacity and achieve common goals.
Votar representa la consagración de nuestra libertad sobre cuyo derecho se constituye y plasma la máxima manifestación democrática de nuestra Sociedad, y sobre la que erige y levanta nuestra Constitución americana como norma suprema en la que poder someter la corrupción, la avaricia y la maldad encarnada en los pecados más amargos del poder.Read more
As a 73-year-old immigrant, I have been captivated by America. A great people extended a sorely-needed helping hand to me and many other Cuban immigrants. Crucial subsidies once provided me with ample opportunities to experience the American Dream and empowered me to a point where I could make a modest contribution in facing our nemesis: the Soviet Union and global communism. In doing so, and being nurtured by democratic ideals from my childhood, I was able to support democracy and freedom and oppose dictatorships from all politically extremist views. Equally important, I was able to actively collaborate in empowering those powerful dictators and corrupt institutions had disenfranchised.Read more
Hola, me llamo Nick Buffie. Tengo 25 años y por ahora estoy viviendo en Bogotá, Colombia.
Más que nada, yo voto porque quiero que todos los estadounidenses tengan acceso al cuidado médico. Cuando tenía 16 años, el padre de uno de mis amigos murió de un tumor cerebral curable. Y la historia de este padre es así: cuando mi amigo era chico, su padre tocaba música con su banda en un parque en Bloomington, Indiana. (Soy de esa ciudad.) Durante la función, el padre – quien tocaba la batería – sufrió una convulsión. Fue al médico y el médico le dijo que tenía un tumor cerebral benigno. Pero, aunque el tumor no era canceroso, era muy grande, y su tamaño mismo era un problema. Lo que es más, el tumor estaba creciendo – y el médico le dijo al padre que si éste se hacía más grande, él podría morir.Read more
I am Nelleke Bruyn, a naturalized United States citizen, and I now live in Costa Rica. My parents immigrated to the USA from Holland when I was 13 years old and I became a USA citizen when I was 24 years old. It is the duty of all USA citizens to vote. The USA is one of the most powerful countries in the world. When the USA sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold. It is the duty of all USA citizens to vote. The fate of the world depends on it. Thank youRead more
As an American who has lived abroad for over ten years, I understand the impact that our politics has on the rest of the world. Everyone is watching us and although they are familiar with our issues and affected by them they cannot participate. Being able to vote is a privilege that I have as a citizen that I don't take lightly.Read more