Are you interested in volunteering at the national level? On this page, you'll find the listings for the current opportunities to help out our country committee.Read more
Happy holidays! To celebrate the snowy season, we warmly invite you to our Holiday Party on Saturday, December 7, 2019 at Amadeus Restaurant & Bar in Stuttgart.
We'll begin the evening with a Glühwein Reception at 7:30 p.m. during which we are pleased to offer all attendees a complimentary glass of glühwein courtesy of the chapter. After the reception, we'll be seated for dinner at 8:00. All attendees will be responsible for their own dinner bills.
The restaurant requires an accurate head count 5 days in advance of the event and charges for "no-show" seats, so please RSVP for this event, and kindly let us know at least 5 days in advance if you cannot attend.
We look forward to spending a festive evening together!
Please send any questions to email@example.com.WHENDecember 07, 2019 at 7:30pmWHEREAmadeus Restaurant & Bar
Google map and directions
Kelsey Mc Lendon published 🇩🇪 Turning Germany Blue - Volunteer with DAG 🇺🇸 in Volunteer 2019-11-05 10:21:15 -0500
We're building a grassroots organization of American Democrats all over Germany in order to prepare for the 2020 elections and sustain the momentum necessary to protect and improve our democracy. Democrats Abroad is an organization run entirely by volunteers, and the time you give, in any amount, contributes to meaningful progress. Below you'll find opportunities to join our volunteer community at the national and local level. Whether you have a specific skill set, an area of expertise, or are just looking for any way to get involved, your help is welcome and very much appreciated.
Will you join us?
Kelsey Mc Lendon published Member Spotlight Series Nov. 2019 - Yvonne Najera in News 2019-10-25 06:14:31 -0400
DA Stuttgart is excited to present the first post in our latest project, the Member Spotlight Series. This month we're featuring Yvonne Najera. A military veteran, videographer, and two-time Germany resident, Yvonne joined Democrats Abroad in January 2019 and has been active locally, nationally, and regionally ever since. We asked her to share some of her experiences as an American expat and a DA Stuttgart member.
What brings you abroad? How long have you lived here?
I moved for work opportunities last January.
Were you politically active or interested in politics before moving overseas? If so, how?
The 2016 Women's March sparked my interest and motivated me to become active.
How long have you been involved in Democrats Abroad? How did you find the organization and why did you join? (What factors influenced your decision to join?)
I arrived in Germany January of this year and wanted to participate in the 2019 Women's March because I went to the 2017 & 2018 Marches. I searched online and saw that a group from Stuttgart was going to the Heidelberg March and I contacted the page. I met up with the group at a meeting just prior to the March. I have been going to the monthly meetings ever since.
With which areas within Democrats Abroad are you involved? In which areas would you like to be more involved?
I've just recently joined the Veterans and Military Families Caucus.
What tips do you have for others looking to join or become more involved?
Try out a few meeting or outings.
You were nominated for this spotlight. Why do you think that is?
Because I'm new and consistently show up to meetings and events.
What do you hope Democrats Abroad will achieve in the near future? How about long term?
I would hope that more awareness of this organization will tip the voting scales to the Dems in the U.S.
What motivates you to stay involved?
This current administration.
In your opinion, what is the biggest challenge facing Democrats today? What challenges do you think are unique to Democrats living abroad?
Dems don't play their politics dirty and it's hard to play with someone who likes to cheat. Remembering that it's our civic duty to always vote no matter where you are.
How has your involvement with Democrats Abroad impacted you? (What effect has your involvement with Democrats Abroad had on you?)
DA has kept me in check so I don't slouch on my civic duty to vote.
Has living abroad changed your perspective on social issues and politics within the United States?
We see a bigger picture of the world and global events. We have a big impact on that world with the people we elect.
ABOUT THE MEMBER SPOTLIGHT SERIES
Help us celebrate the amazing people who keep DA Stuttgart going! In an effort to reflect the grassroots nature of our organization, the Stuttgart chapter has launched a project called the Member Spotlight Series. Our goal with this project is to highlight the real people showing up to defend our democracy. The selected member will be informally interviewed about their experiences with DA, have a fun photoshoot with a professional photographer, Mitzi Kesterson, and then be featured on the Stuttgart webpage on democratsabroad.org as well as our social media pages.
Do you know someone, a long-standing or brand new member, who deserves to be highlighted? We're taking nominations now for next month's spotlight. Please send your nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kelsey Mc Lendon published New Beginnings for the Bodensee Precinct in News 2019-09-16 06:23:17 -0400
by Marisa Schlenker, Bodensee Precinct Captain
It is exciting to have the opportunity to be part of revamping the Bodensee precinct as it gives those of us living in the Bodensee area a chance to come together to work towards the common Democrats Abroad goals. We know that there are Americans living here in this region and our main objective is to reach them to inform them all about the vote from abroad platform. It is so critical that all Americans living abroad know how to vote from abroad and that this nonpartisan platform exists to guide them in the different processes. Apart from informing Americans about voting from abroad and supporting them to have a voice in our government, our precinct will aim to be a space for our members to come together, discuss politics, fundraise, become more informed about different political and social issues and support the Democratic party from afar.
With our first Meet & Greet planned for September 22nd in Bermatingen, we hope to attract a range of potential members who can join us in designing and reinitiating the precinct, particularly as we move into 2020, a busy election year!
Kelsey Mc Lendon published Get Geared Up For 2020 With A New DA T-Shirt in News 2019-08-21 11:18:16 -0400
New DA shirts are in! Let the world know where you stand with a piece of our multi-colored merch. T-shirts cost $15 each and are available in the size and color combinations listed below. Snag one of these at our next chapter meeting on Friday, September 13! Or, because we have a limited quantity, it might also be a good idea to reserve your shirt now by commenting on this post or sending an email to email@example.com. 😉
Democrats Abroad shirts (multicolored)*
❤️ Red - (1) L
🧡 Orange - (1) M; (1) L
💚 Green - (1) S; (1) XL
💙 Blue - (1) XL
💜 Purple - (1) S
💟 Magenta - (1) M
Get Your A$$ to the Polls shirts*
🗳 (1) S; (2) M
*Sizes run a bit large
The Youth Caucus of Democrats Abroad is committed to generating awareness of the concerns of young Americans and the challenges they face for the purpose of informing party policy-making and improving party outreach and organizing. The Youth Caucus will provide a platform for young Democrats abroad - those who are and those who seek to become politically active - to engage in and lead on issues and campaigns important to them.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Youth Caucus will be “youth-led” but open to those of all ages who support these central aims.
The Youth Caucus will/proposes to:
- Build political engagement by young Americans Democrats abroad. Initiatives will make young Americans abroad aware of: voter registration and voting from abroad; issue education, advocacy and activism, especially youth-led and youth-related; candidates and campaigns, especially those of young Democrats; US political and election organizing from abroad; and overseas and domestic youth networks, contacts and resources.
- Sponsor issue-focused Working Groups: The Caucus will engage young Democrats abroad in issues advocacy by inviting them to join teams studying particular issues (eg Environmental Sustainability Working Group) and developing and coordinating youth-led advocacy activities and campaigns.
- Establish web-based communication channels for on-going youth outreach: A Youth Caucus Blog on the Democrats Abroad Youth Caucus webpage will provide continuous access to the work of the Youth Caucus and facilitate participation by members globally.
- Work online. Membership will not be constrained by physical location. All general meetings, campaigns, fundraisers etc. will be conducted online via Skype, Social Media, Email, and Online Markets.
- Encourage caucus members to organize live local events and gatherings for political education and outreach, issues advocacy or socializing.
- Be youth-led, with a leadership team made up of volunteers from around the world aged between 18 and 35.
- Engage with US-based Young Democrats or College Democrats groups to share information, advice, intelligence and ideas, build networks and to cross-promote each other.
Democrats Abroad is committed to a world where all persons have access to the same rights and benefits, regardless of sexual identity or gender expression.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Democrats Abroad LGBT Caucus is the constituency group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex members and any Democrat abroad who supports them.
The goals of the LGBT Caucus reflect the mission of Democrats Abroad to:
- engage and empower LGBTI Americans living abroad to vote in US elections;
- provide a platform for Democrats Abroad members, country committees and chapters to advance issues at the heart of the LGBTI community;
- support Democrats Abroad’s members in issues they face living abroad as LGBTI Americans, such as access to government services and benefits for same-sex spouses and family members, the legacy resulting from past discrimination and Defense of Marriage Act.
The LGBT Caucus:
- supports Democrats Abroad’s country committees and local chapters in organizing activities of interest to the LGBTI community, such as participation in pride events and voter outreach;
- disseminates information to Democrats Abroad members and promotes action on issues that affect LGBTI Americans and their families;
- ensures that the LGBTI perspective is effectively incorporated in all the work of Democrats Abroad, including issues advocacy, communication and GOTV strategy, planning and execution; ensures that issues and policies that impact LGBTI Americans are included in the Democrats Abroad and Democratic Party platforms;
- takes leadership in Democrats Abroad’s issues advocacy initiatives, including “door knock” visits to elected officials in Washington DC, to ensure that issues that impact LGBTI Americans living abroad and their families are included and addressed by elected representatives;
- encourages LGBTI members to run for elected leadership roles within Democrats Abroad and fulfill Democrats Abroad’s diversity and affirmative action goals;
- supports community building among Democrats Abroad’s LGBTI members and allies;
- promotes Democratic Party candidates who demonstrate commitment to policies that positively impact the lives of LGBTI Americans;
- supports and engages with Democratic Party LGBTI caucuses build capacity and achieve common goals.
Thanks for supporting Democrats Abroad at the Running for Democracy event.The race is over and you should have received an email telling how your runners did - and what your donation amount should be.If the amount matches one of the boxes on the left, just click on that box and then complete your donation information. If it doesn't match one of the boxes, then enter the amount in to the "Other" box and complete your donation information.By sponsoring our Running for Democracy event, you are helping Democrats Abroad finance our very important GOTV efforts for the 2020 Election. So feel free to donate a larger amount than what you pledged. It WILL make a difference!Donate
Kelsey Mc Lendon published America Divided? - Bi-Partisan Discussion on the Political Divide in News 2019-04-03 09:36:19 -0400
by Mark Neel
This past Thursday the Deutsch-Amerikanisches Zentrum in Stuttgart was the site of a lively discussion about the seemingly interminable political divide which has become increasingly evident in the United States in recent years. Kelsey McLendon, chair of the Stuttgart chapter of Democrats Abroad, and Michael Pierce, PhD., member of Republicans Overseas, represented the different sides of this divide, while Dr. Martin Kilgus, Managing Director of the ifa Akademie, moderated the talk. The many attendees in the packed room not only witnessed this event, but frequently participated in it themselves with their own questions and comments. The topics ranged over a variety of subjects, including immigration, climate change, international relations, racism, and, of course, Donald Trump, and though it was occasionally heated, the tone between participants remained always respectful and civil. As perhaps could have been expected, little was resolved between the starkly contrasting viewpoints of the participants that evening, but on one point Kelsey and Michael ended up finding one thing they both could agree upon: the dire need for campaign-finance reform. That's at least a start! Democrats Abroad would like to thank all the participants -- the speakers, the moderator, and audience -- as well as the DAZ for organizing this wonderful and thought-provoking event.
The Equal Rights Amendment resolution passed unanimously in Tokyo where we committed to do whatever we can to help get the ERA ratified. See the resolution here.
Watch the video "Legalize Equality." This 30-minute video gives an excellent overview of the Equal Rights Amendment and why it is critical to be ratified.
You can watch the video until 31 December 2019.
To receive the streaming link and password, click RSVP and you will receive an email with the information in it.
Feel free to share the link and password to DA members that want to view it. However, please do NOT post the link and password on the internet in any way. Only Democrats Abroad has access for this private screening and we need to honor this special access given by Equal Means Equal and Heroica Films.
Additional References to learn more about ERA:WHENJanuary 31, 2019 at 6pm - December 30, 2019 at 6pmWHEREOnline
Make a donation using the form on the left or sponsor one of our projects through our Give to Win program.
Every dollar you give supports our work to elect Democrats who will fight - AND FIGHT BACK - to make a better life for ALL Americans. Join us by making a donation today.
Julia Bryan, Chair - Democrats Abroad
We need Democrats like you to commit to Democrats Abroad - your Democratic Party for overseas Americans. Contribute to Democrats Abroad today and help us fight back against the Trump agenda, register Americans all over the world for upcoming elections, reach out on issues that concern you and build a brighter future for our country and the world. With your help, we can make the difference. We did it all over the country in 2018! And we are already working on 2020!
If you are unable to contribute online, send us a US Dollar check with this form to the following address.
PO Box 15130
Washington DC 20003
Thank you for your support!
On-line credit card contributions made to Democrats Abroad are secure, encrypted transactions made via Stripe.Donate
Kelsey Mc Lendon wants to volunteer 2017-11-22 07:45:56 -0500
Join our tiny actions team and receive regular emails outlining actions you can take to support issues that matter to Democrats and our allies.
Democrats Abroad's country committees need local volunteers. Volunteer by clicking on the "Countries" tab above, find your country, and contact your leaders directly.
Do you want to help at a global level? We have more than a dozen global teams that work to keep our organization running.
Our global teams provide get out the vote help, communications, technology support and more to the all the grass roots volunteers working at the local level in Democrats Abroad. Regardless of where you live there is a team that needs your talent and dedication. Now is the time to join fellow Democrats and help fight for what's right. Any questions, write us at firstname.lastname@example.org