Join Democrats Abroad Switzerland for a nationwide celebration of 🇺🇸 Independence Day 🇺🇸!
We would be delighted for you, your family, and your friends to join us on July 3rd at the charming Köniz Castle in Bern, to celebrate Independence Day! It’s exciting to be able to host our first nationwide event since the beginning of the pandemic, and to have a chance to reconnect with old friends as well as meet Dems new to Switzerland. We’ve organized a grill picnic, games, face-painting, and a US news trivia contest with prizes.
Carpooling: Can you offer a ride or are you looking for one? Please click here to post a comment on the public board.
Parking: You can drive into the venue courtyard to drop things off and you can park at Parkplatz Schloss Köniz (http://goo.gl/maps/mPtQ9j4WF4XGeGsy6)
Cost: This event is free, including non-alcoholic refreshments.
Contact: If you have further questions about the venue or have thought of a way to help, please contact Radhika Garland [email protected] (+41 76 778 60 78) and Liz Voss [email protected] (+ 41 78 931 91 13).
- 2:00-5:30 pm: Open Grill and Apéro. Bring your picnic supplies with you; we will provide the grill. If you are bringing something to share, please let us know! There will be local beer available at cost.
- 3:00-5:00 pm: Games, face painting, and more.
- 3:00-7:00 pm: Political action time!
- Letter writing marathon. We hope to write at least 100 letters/postcards to our elected officials, voters in swing states, and voters living in Switzerland.
- "Why I'm Voting" Booth. Record a short video about why voting in US elections is important to you.
- "Bans Off Our Bodies" mini protest. The SCOTUS decision on Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization was announced on Friday, June 24, 2022, and Roe v. Wade has officially been overturned. Make a sign and take a picture for us to use on our social media feeds.
- 5:30 pm: US Politics Trivia Contest. We’ll have lots of questions of varying difficulty and prizes for the winners.
WHENJuly 03, 2022 at 2:00pmWHERESchärmeruum, Chornhuus
Google map and directions
Hello! My name is Eric and I’m the chair of the Switzerland chapter of Democrats Abroad.
I ran for chair to build an inclusionary space in our organization for new leaders, members, and ideas. Our country and our planet clearly face a great number of existential challenges such as climate change, information crisis, sociopolitical divisions… the list goes on. I fervently believe that if we’re going to stand a lasting chance in confronting these issues, we need to reflect the diversity of opinions, personalities, and backgrounds of our membership.
I grew up in St. Louis Missouri to a family of scientists and vote in North Carolina where I last lived prior to leaving for higher education in Europe. I have a Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry from ETH Zürich where I studied renewable energy – namely, artificial photosynthesis.
Most of my time outside of research has been either leading or founding social initiatives. During my last 4 years in Switzerland, I cofounded a ‘union’ (we didn’t use this term) to represent academic staff at my research institution called the PhD and Postdoc Association at the Paul Scherrer Institute (the Swiss national laboratory where I worked) where I was also president of the 12-member board. I also cofounded and was president of the Mental Wellbeing association (MeWell) nonprofit where we advocate for mental health awareness within academia. During the last 10 years I have founded and/or was president of 6 organizations (5 in Switzerland) and have sat on 8 boards.
I am very passionate about making music and performing ‘live looping’ concerts on the electric violin. I also love to cook and creatively explore with new flavors and ingredients. In addition, I am a fiend for a good map and enjoy all things geography and history.
I am also proud to be engaged to my wonderful fiancé, Minttu, whom I have been with for over 6 years ☺
I would also love to hear from you! Send me an email at: [email protected]