Calling all activists (and activist-curious)!
The 2018 midterms will be one of the most consequential elections of our lifetime. Overseas voters can — and often do — determine the margin of victory in close races. Democrats Abroad UK needs to reach every voter we can, and we need all hands on deck to bring on the Blue Wave!
Come to the Democrats Abroad UK Blue Wave Boot Camp: US Midterm Election Training on Saturday, September 15, at David Game College, 31 Jewry Street, London EC3N 2ET, starting at 9 a.m. Get your tickets here!
Learn how you can best use your talents and passions to make the Blue Wave happen! Topics include:
- Policy discussions of what’s at stake in this year’s midterms;
- Voter registration for overseas Americans to request and complete absentee ballots;
- Phone Banking and “Get-Out-The-Vote” to mobilize expats and earn every vote;
- Creative forms of citizen activism to transform a Blue Wave into a Blue Tsunami.
The day will also feature a keynote speaker panel with progressive thinkers and authors, including (among others):
- Dr. Michael McQuarrie, Associate Professor of Sociology at the London School of Economics, researcher on issues related to politics, protest and civil society; and community and labor organizer and
- Martha McDevitt-Pugh, a member of the Democratic National Committee representing Democrats Abroad.
These sessions will alternate with DAUK strategy and policy talks to evolve our thinking on how to expand our tent, protect our democracy, regain control of Congress and win back statehouses this November. Additionally, you will be able to organize with fellow Americans from your home state or region. Join us!
9:00 Check-in and registration
9:30 Chair's Welcome and Strategy Talks: Expanding the Tent: Mobilizing the base, voter outreach strategy and voter rights protection. Talks presented by (among others) DAUK Policy Network, DAUK Black Caucus and DAUK Women’s Caucus and DAUK Action Team.
11:10 Activism 101: Introduction to voter registration, phonebanking, DA/DAUK States Committees and more.
12:10 Activist Mess Hall: Lunch, activist networking and policy talks (Immigration, Healthcare, Environmental Policy and Gun Reform). You can order an optional bag lunch along with your ticket.
13:30 Speaker Panel: What is at Stake and How to Win. Dr. Michael McQuarrie, Prof. of Sociology at LSE, and Martha McDevitt-Pugh, DA Representative to the DNC; full lineup TBA.
15:00 Boots on the Ground: On the ground fieldwork in voter registration, phonebanking and other forms of activism.
We welcome first-time Democratic and progressive activists as well as seasoned veterans.
31 Jewry St
London EC3N 2ET
Google map and directions