California Elections and Voting Information
Get your California ballot faxed* back NOW, even without a fax machine!
*Find out how to fax your ballot with an email to fax app HERE! See below for more information!
Hear a message from Speaker Nancy Pelosi about the importance of voting from abroad!
HEAD TO votefromabroad.org/elections/CA NOW if you haven't already and request your ballot!
This is the most important election of our lives: California voters will help determine the fate of the entire United States.
Reasons to register as a California overseas voter include:
- Receive your ballot via email
- Ability to fax back your ballot return
- If you don’t receive your official ballot in time, you can use a special federal Backup Ballot – a very important advantage!
Register to Vote and/or Request a Ballot
Even if you are or were registered to vote in your county, in order to receive your election materials and vote when you are absent from your county while serving and/or living overseas, you need to apply for a vote-by-mail ballot by completing the online voter registration application or by completing the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) at www.VoteFromAbroad.org.
When you complete your online voter registration application or your FPCA, you can choose to receive your ballot and the accompanying Military or Overseas Voter Return Envelope mailed, faxed, or emailed to you. You may even be able to download them from your county elections official's website. Check the list below for the options in your county.
The FPCA, as well as answers to frequently asked questions, is available from the Federal Voting Assistance Program. Members of the military can also obtain an FPCA from their installation's Voting Assistance Officer. Civilian overseas voters can obtain an FPCA at any U.S. embassy or consulate. You can mail or fax your completed FPCA to your county elections official. If you mail the FPCA, postage is pre-paid in the U.S. mail, including the Military Postal System and State Department Pouch mail. If you are already registered to vote and are only submitting an FPCA to request a vote-by-mail ballot, you can email your completed and signed FPCA to your county elections official.
YOU CAN FAX YOUR BALLOT - EVEN WITHOUT A FAX!
To make sure your voted ballot has enough time to arrive to your county elections official, we recommend you send it back by FAX!
Return your voted ballot and signed Military or Overseas Voter Return Envelope to your county elections official. Mail or fax your voted ballot and signed return envelope following the Secretary of State's online instructions under "Mailing Addresses and Fax Numbers for Military or Overseas Voters".
If mailing (not recommenced after Oct. 1): Your voted ballot and signed return envelope must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received by your county elections office no later than 7 days after Election Day.
CA Voting Tips
Are you aware that California has a tool for tracking your ballot?
- Sign-up at WheresMyBallot.sos.ca.gov to receive automatic email, SMS (text), or voice call notiﬁcations about your ballot.
Got your Primary ballot by postal mail and would like to receive your November by ballot email instead?
- Please go to Vote from Abroad to fill out a Federal Post Card Application and be sure to check that you want to receive your ballot by email/electronically.
Worried about getting your ballot back on time?
- CA allows ballots to be returned by fax - this can be done using an email to fax app. Find out more info HERE.
Please check today you are properly registered as an Overseas voter with your Local County Election Official.
- You can often check your status through the county website, or if not can contact them by phone or email.
- You can find Website and Contact information for your county here: https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voter-registration/military-overseas-voters
Head to Vote From Abroad! www.votefromabroad.org