About the Position
Democrats Abroad (DA) was the margin of victory for Joe Biden in Georgia and Arizona. We’re determined not only to deliver scale-tipping votes in races across the United States in 2022 and beyond, but also to transport the perspectives of U.S. citizens living abroad back to lawmakers stateside. One way DA strives to do this is by offering opportunities for DA’s ca. 200 voting members to make formal statements (“resolutions”) about issues they believe our organization should prioritize. Submitted resolutions are circulated to voting members ahead of DA global meetings, which are typically held annually each May, and are then formally voted on at such meetings.
In consultation with relevant stakeholders, the Resolutions Chair will facilitate this process by leading the Resolutions Committee as well as reviewing and, as necessary, revising the process by which resolutions are collected and presented for consideration to DA’s voting members. The Resolutions Committee Chair is responsible for ensuring that we are drafting and adopting meaningful resolutions on issues of concern and/or relevance to DA members, with the ultimate goal of making DA’s stances clear and, in turn, raising political engagement and voter turnout among the larger U.S. population abroad.
- Review and, as necessary, revise the resolutions process in consultation with relevant stakeholders
- In consultation with the International Chair, form and lead a Resolutions Committee
- Develop a process and timeline for DA leaders to submit resolutions ahead of DA global meetings
- Clearly communicate to DA leaders and members, in formats such as live trainings and written materials, about the resolutions process and how they can participate
- Collect and review resolutions from DA’s voting members, working with authors to resolve any outstanding issues
- Post and distribute resolutions for leaders and members to review ahead of DA global meetings
- Hold online meetings for discussion about resolutions ahead of DA global meetings
- Prepare and submit a Resolutions Committee Report for presentation to DA leaders at the May 2022 Global Meeting
- Report to the International Executive Committee on a bi-weekly basis and regularly attend their meetings
Skills & Qualifications
- Commitment to helping DA, the Democratic Party, and Democratic candidates succeed
- Member of Democrats Abroad (join here)
- First-hand knowledge of the U.S. voting constituency abroad, as well as of issues unique to overseas voters and of concern to DA members
- Familiarity with DA’s, the Democratic National Committee’s, and/or other Democratic state parties’ resolutions process is advantageous
- Strong IT skills, especially with Google Workspace and Wiki platforms
- Highly communicative and responsive
- Strong interpersonal and project management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects across multiple time zones
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Estimated Time Commitment: 5-10 hours per week (less initially, increasing in the run-up to the May 2022 Global Meeting)
Start Date: From January 10, 2022
End Date: May 2023
Compensation: Unpaid (but tremendously rewarding!)
Please send your resume and a cover letter outlining your vision and qualifications for the role in PDF format to [email protected] by December 6, 2021.
Democrats Abroad is committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, with opportunities to provide and the ability to take feedback and learn. It is our policy to recruit, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, pregnancy, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity, disability, or any other legally protected basis.