About the Position
Each Global Task Force Chair plays an important role in Democrats Abroad’s (DA) efforts to mobilize key U.S. voter constituencies living abroad, deliver scale-tipping votes, and elevate the voices of U.S. citizens abroad in U.S. politics and policy. A successful Global Task Force Chair should have knowledge of both DA and task force issues, as well as strong management and communication skills, to ultimately drive engagement and activism among the larger U.S. population abroad.
Global Task Force Chair positions are available for each of DA’s four global task forces, including: Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), Medicare Portability, Reparations, and Taxation. Upon appointment, and in collaboration with the DA International Chair, each Global Task Force Chair will be responsible for identifying a Global Task Force Vice Chair, as well as at least six additional DA volunteers to serve on the Global Task Force.
- Review and revise task force mission statement and terms of reference for approval by the 2021-2023 DA International Executive Committee
- Hold regular Global Task Force planning sessions
- Develop and execute a strategic outreach plan to increase awareness and understanding of task force issues among DA members, other U.S. citizens abroad, and elected and government officials in the U.S.
- Research and stay current on legislation relevant to the task force
- Work with the DA Global Engagement Coordinator to develop campaigns to activate and mobilize DA members and other U.S. citizens abroad on task force issues
- Work with the DA Global Advocacy Coordinator to strategize and coordinate task force-specific legislative outreach
- Work with DA Global Events Coordinator to develop global events (1-2 events per quarter)
- Propose DA policy positions, for approval by the DA International Executive Committee and/or Democratic Party Committee Abroad (DPCA) voting body
- Build and maintain a centralized list of external contacts
- Work with DA Global Communications Team to develop and coordinate messaging, as well as maintain the task force’s presence on DA's website and social media platforms
- Report to DA International Executive Committee members on a bi-weekly basis and regularly attend their meetings
Skills & Qualifications
- Commitment to helping DA, the Democratic Party, and Democratic candidates succeed
- Member of Democrats Abroad (join here)
- Deep knowledge of task force issues
- Creative and well organized with strong management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a global setting
- Ability to create and achieve shared measurable goals through strong team leadership
- Experience with legislative and/or advocacy work is desirable
Estimated Time Commitment: 5-10 hours/week (flexible working times)
Start Date: From August 9, 2021
End Date: May 2023
Compensation: Unpaid (but tremendously rewarding!)
Please send your resume and a cover letter outlining your vision and qualifications for the role in PDF format to [email protected] by August 1, 2021.
Democrats Abroad is committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, with opportunities to provide and the ability to take feedback and learn. It is our policy to recruit, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, pregnancy, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity, disability, or any other legally protected basis.