About the Position
Democrats Abroad (DA) was the margin of victory for Joe Biden in Georgia and Arizona, and we’re determined to continue delivering scale-tipping votes in races across the United States in 2021 and 2022. The Global Vote From Abroad Coordinator will play a critical role in achieving this by regularly monitoring state and federal law for overseas voters, maintaining DA’s non-partisan voter registration tool www.votefromabroad.org to communicate overseas ballot request/return procedure and deadlines, and working closely with the Global Voting Assistance Coordinator to ensure that the most up-to-date voting information is swiftly and accurately made available to overseas voters.
A successful Global Vote From Abroad Coordinator should have knowledge of election laws for overseas voters and a strong eye for detail to notice new legislation, as well as changes to existing legislation, that could impact overseas voters. Additionally, the Global Vote From Abroad Coordinator will work with the Global Advocacy Coordinator to identify and work on areas where state and federal election law could be adjusted to improve the process of voting from abroad.
- Frequently monitor state and federal election law with overseas voters in focus
- Compile and maintain a detailed centralized list of state and federal election laws and procedures for overseas voters voting in each U.S. state and territory
- Publish overseas ballot request/return procedures, deadlines, and election dates for overseas voters voting in each U.S. state and territory on www.votefromabroad.org (with the help of the IT Team as needed)
- Update guidance on www.votefromabroad.org appropriately if legislation changes and impacts the process of voting from abroad
- Communicate legislative changes impacting the process of voting from abroad, as well as the updated guidance, to the Global Voting Assistance Coordinator and DA leaders
- Create a state-by-state list of election laws that could be adjusted to improve the process of voting from abroad
- Together with the Global Advocacy Coordinator, develop strategy for legislatively improving the process of voting from abroad
- Report to the DA International Executive Committee on a bi-weekly basis and regularly attend their meetings
Skills & Qualifications
- Commitment to helping DA, the Democratic Party, and Democratic candidates succeed
- Member of Democrats Abroad (join here)
- Deep first-hand knowledge of the U.S. voting constituency abroad, as well as of issues unique to overseas voters
- Familiarity with election laws determining the process of voting from abroad
- Familiarity with Vote From Abroad (www.votefromabroad.org), as well as with the Federal Voting Assistance Program for overseas voters (www.fvap.gov)
- Strong eye for detail, with the ability to notice faint patterns and trends
- Ability to break down complex information, specifically legal documents, and clearly communicate essential points to a larger audience
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects across multiple time zones
- Comfortability with Google Workspace programs
- Previous legislative and/or legal experience advantageous
Estimated Time Commitment: 10-15 hours/week, with understanding that hours may need to increase in peak of state legislative sessions
Start Date: From August 16, 2021
End Date: May 2023
Compensation: Unpaid (but tremendously rewarding!)
Please send your resume and a cover letter outlining your vision and qualifications for the role in PDF format to [email protected] by August 1, 2021.
Democrats Abroad is committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, with opportunities to provide and the ability to take feedback and learn. It is our policy to recruit, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, pregnancy, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity, disability, or any other legally protected basis.