Click below to receive periodic updates from the Taxation Task Force on our tax advocacy work. We will message you when there are important updates and developments to report.Sign up
Click below to receive periodic updates from the GOTV and Voting Rights teams regarding our voting rights work. We will message you when there are important updates and developments to report.Sign up
Jeffrey Cheng published Democrats Abroad Women's Caucus statement on litmus test in News 2017-08-04 12:36:25 -0400
The Women's Caucus of Democrats Abroad wishes to highlight and reaffirm the statement made in the 2016 Democrats Abroad Platform that unequivocally endorsed :
" ….the right of women in the U.S. to bear children, practice birth control, and obtain safe, legal abortions regardless of economic, religious or racial status."
Additionally we want to reiterate that:
"We believe that a decision to terminate a pregnancy is a private matter outside the scope of government intervention. We further believe that all women should have unfettered, free access to quality information from doctors and others regarding reproductive choices."
The statements in the 2016 Democrats Abroad platform mirror the 2016 Democratic platform that stated that the Democratic Party believes “unequivocally” that “every woman should have access to quality reproductive health care services, including safe and legal abortion.”
Democrats and the politicians who represent us do not have to believe that abortion is right for them or their family, but we urge them to respect and uphold the right of each American woman to make that decision for herself.
LET’S REMEMBER and RESPECT our Democratic core values: equality, fairness, inclusivity, respect for human rights and dignity of all Americans- which includes the belief that every woman has the right to choose for herself whether or not to have an abortion.
The Youth Caucus of Democrats Abroad is committed to generating awareness of the concerns of young Americans and the challenges they face for the purpose of informing party policy-making and improving party outreach and organizing. The Youth Caucus will provide a platform for young Democrats abroad - those who are and those who seek to become politically active - to engage in and lead on issues and campaigns important to them.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Youth Caucus will be “youth-led” but open to those of all ages who support these central aims.
The Youth Caucus will/proposes to:
- Build political engagement by young Americans Democrats abroad. Initiatives will make young Americans abroad aware of: voter registration and voting from abroad; issue education, advocacy and activism, especially youth-led and youth-related; candidates and campaigns, especially those of young Democrats; US political and election organizing from abroad; and overseas and domestic youth networks, contacts and resources.
- Sponsor issue-focused Working Groups: The Caucus will engage young Democrats abroad in issues advocacy by inviting them to join teams studying particular issues (eg Environmental Sustainability Working Group) and developing and coordinating youth-led advocacy activities and campaigns.
- Establish web-based communication channels for on-going youth outreach: A Youth Caucus Blog on the Democrats Abroad Youth Caucus webpage will provide continuous access to the work of the Youth Caucus and facilitate participation by members globally.
- Work online. Membership will not be constrained by physical location. All general meetings, campaigns, fundraisers etc. will be conducted online via Skype, Social Media, Email, and Online Markets.
- Encourage caucus members to organize live local events and gatherings for political education and outreach, issues advocacy or socializing.
- Be youth-led, with a leadership team made up of volunteers from around the world aged between 18 and 35.
- Engage with US-based Young Democrats or College Democrats groups to share information, advice, intelligence and ideas, build networks and to cross-promote each other.
Democrats Abroad is committed to a world where all persons have access to the same rights and benefits, regardless of sexual identity or gender expression.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Democrats Abroad LGBT Caucus is the constituency group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex members and any Democrat abroad who supports them.
The goals of the LGBT Caucus reflect the mission of Democrats Abroad to:
- engage and empower LGBTI Americans living abroad to vote in US elections;
- provide a platform for Democrats Abroad members, country committees and chapters to advance issues at the heart of the LGBTI community;
- support Democrats Abroad’s members in issues they face living abroad as LGBTI Americans, such as access to government services and benefits for same-sex spouses and family members, the legacy resulting from past discrimination and Defense of Marriage Act.
The LGBT Caucus:
- supports Democrats Abroad’s country committees and local chapters in organizing activities of interest to the LGBTI community, such as participation in pride events and voter outreach;
- disseminates information to Democrats Abroad members and promotes action on issues that affect LGBTI Americans and their families;
- ensures that the LGBTI perspective is effectively incorporated in all the work of Democrats Abroad, including issues advocacy, communication and GOTV strategy, planning and execution; ensures that issues and policies that impact LGBTI Americans are included in the Democrats Abroad and Democratic Party platforms;
- takes leadership in Democrats Abroad’s issues advocacy initiatives, including “door knock” visits to elected officials in Washington DC, to ensure that issues that impact LGBTI Americans living abroad and their families are included and addressed by elected representatives;
- encourages LGBTI members to run for elected leadership roles within Democrats Abroad and fulfill Democrats Abroad’s diversity and affirmative action goals;
- supports community building among Democrats Abroad’s LGBTI members and allies;
- promotes Democratic Party candidates who demonstrate commitment to policies that positively impact the lives of LGBTI Americans;
- supports and engages with Democratic Party LGBTI caucuses build capacity and achieve common goals.
Jeffrey Cheng published DA Sweden Chair Alexander Lange on Sverige Radio in News 2017-07-13 11:18:10 -0400
Did you miss the broadcast of Radiokorrespondenterna? Listen to the recording of Chair Alexander Lange as he joined P1 to talk about the future of the Democratic Party and what we're doing to get organized at the grassroots, even here in Sweden. Program is in Swedish.
Jeffrey Cheng donated 2017-04-29 17:55:56 -0400
Jeffrey Cheng donated 2017-04-29 16:26:21 -0400
You'll find the most updated documents related to Democrats Abroad Sweden on our wiki page here:
This currently includes bylaws and meeting minutes, and will continually be updated.
Jeffrey Cheng published Democrats Abroad Sweden Welcomes Vice President Joe Biden to Sweden in News 2016-08-25 03:13:10 -0400Democrats Abroad Sweden officially welcomes Vice President Joe Biden on his visit to Sweden and thanks him for his service as a United States Senator from Delaware for 36 years and as our Vice President for the past 8 years. His foreign policy expertise and tireless advocacy for every day Americans, wherever they live, has left an exceptional legacy of progress that will stay with us for years to come.
Vice President Biden understands that change is hard work and has stood by President Barack Obama every step of the way. The Vice President's achievements are many and include working to address gun violence, advancing LGBTQ rights, strengthening the middle class, passing and further improving the Violence Against Women Act, and providing an effective voice for the United States in the world.
The Vice President's willingness to tackle pressing global issues on his trip to Sweden, Latvia, and Turkey, such as re-affirming America's commitment to our NATO allies, and finding solutions to the refugee crisis, demonstrates that he is not slowing down.
Democrats Abroad is working hard to protect Vice President Biden's legacy of progress by helping turn out the overseas vote for Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine, as well as Democratic candidates across the United States at all levels of government.
To register and request you ballot, visit our dedicated online tool at votefromabroad.org.
Jeffrey Cheng donated 2016-07-12 17:07:29 -0400
Make a donation here or sponsor one of our projects through our Give to Win program.
Every dollar you give supports our work to elect Democrats who will fight - AND FIGHT BACK - to make a better life for ALL Americans. Join us by making a donation today.
Julia Bryan, Chair - Democrats Abroad
We need Democrats like you to commit to Democrats Abroad - your Democratic Party for overseas Americans. Contribute to Democrats Abroad today and help us fight back against the Trump agenda, register Americans all over the world for upcoming elections, reach out on issues that concern you and build a brighter future for our country and the world. With your help, we can make the difference. We did it in Alabama in 2017 - and we can do it all over the country in 2018!
If you prefer to contribute via PayPal or if you want to make a RECURRING MONTHLY (VERY HELPFUL) donation, you may contribute to Democrats Abroad using ActBlue. Or if you are unable to contribute online, send us a US Dollar check with this form.
PO Box 15130
Washington DC 20003
On-line credit card contributions made to Democrats Abroad are secure, encrypted transactions made via Stripe.Donate
Jeffrey Cheng wants to volunteer 2016-05-13 06:32:06 -0400
Democrats Abroad's country committees in the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Asia Pacific need local volunteers. You can start helping today. Put yourself forward by clicking on the "Countries" tab above, find your country, and contact your leaders directly.
If you live in a country without an active chapter you still have an opportunity to help - Democrats Abroad has over 20 caucuses, committees and task forces that address issues that affect all Americans and Americans living abroad as well as keep our organization running. Some you’ve probably heard of while others you may not.
These groups provide a fun and challenging yet important opportunity for you to help us help you. Regardless of where you live there is a caucus, committee or task force that needs your talent and dedication. This is the time to join fellow Democrats and be a part of something that matters.
Please login to find our open positions, if you'd like more details please write us at email@example.com:
Don’t be shy. We're waiting to hear from you!Become a volunteer