The Republican Senate is trying to push through a new health care bill spearheaded by Senators Lindsey Graham and Bill Cassidy, and they are moving FAST. A floor vote before September 30th would only require a simple majority.
We need to stop them in their tracks.
Call AND email your Senators and express your opposition to the Graham-Cassidy bill. You can find their contact details at https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/.
If your Senators are Democrats, let them know how you feel, but also call the key Senators who have previously shown their opposition but may be wavering under incredible party pressure:
- Senator Susan Collins of Maine, (202) 224-2523; [email protected]
- Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, (202) 224-6665; email form
- Senator Shelly Capito of West Virginia, (202) 224-6472; email form
- Senator John McCain of Arizona, (202) 224-2235; [email protected]
- Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, (202) 224-4343; email form
Organizations are also encouraging you to put pressure on:
- Senator Cory Gardner of Colorado, (202) 224-5941
- Senator Jerry Moran of Kansas, (202) 224-6521
- Senator Rob Portman of Ohio, (202) 224-3353
- It is a cruel proposal that increases health care costs and decreases coverage.
- It drastically cuts Medicaid funding (by one third) and since states will have block grant authority, it will leave millions high and dry.
- It rolls back protections for people with pre-existing conditions, one of the most popular attributes of the Affordable Care Act.
- It eliminates help for poor families to buy health insurance.
- It is worse for women's health than all previous ACA repeal bills, defunding Planned Parenthood forever, allowing insurance companies to provide plans that don’t cover maternity care, and providing the federal government with a new way to restrict abortion access at the state level.
- It allows insurance companies to charge older customers 5 times more than young customers.
- It gives the wealthiest Americans a 1% tax cut.
After you've called, please post on your social media feed and ask your friends to call too.
Looking to do more on this issue?
To have your health care story featured on our website and in a collection we'll be sharing with congress, go here.
To help call voters in critical states to encourage them to pressure their Senators, visit Indivisible's international volunteer page, here. Standard rates apply, so you'll want to use a VoIP service such as Skype.
If you missed our tiny action last week, you'll notice a few changes from our earlier activity. Instead of sharing multiple actions once a month, we'll be posting ONE action, weekly. As always, our aim is to turn tiny actions into big results, so we hope we can continue to count on your help! Do you have suggestions for our next tiny action? Email us, info at democratsabroad dot org.