Photo Credit: Sukit Vanichrudeee
Democrats Abroad Thailand (DAT) is the official country committee for US Democrats living in Thailand. We provide opportunities for Americans in Thailand to get involved in the Democratic party and issues that matter to them. These are trying times and it will take all of us to fight back. US citizens around the world are organizing for a fairer and more just America that embraces diversity- let's raise our voices together and be heard all the way from Thailand.
We support our great Democratic candidates and encourage discussion about the ideas and solutions they offer through debate watch parties, post-debate discussions, live chats with the candidates. We host political pub nights to get your political banter on, Ladies Night, issue based call-congress parties, film nights,
If you are specifically interested in racial justice, gender equality and/ or LGBTQ rights - join one or all of our Caucuses here on the website and then follow us on FB : Black Caucus and Women's Caucus.
We have three official chapters, in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and the North, and Pattaya and the Eastern Seaboard. We are always looking to grow our chapter network so if you are interested in organizing for social justice- let me know!
I look forward to welcoming you at the next DAT event.
Chair, Democrats Abroad Thailand
Democrats Abroad is committed to a world where all persons have access to the same rights and benefits, regardless of sexual identity or gender expression.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Democrats Abroad LGBT Caucus is the constituency group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex members and any Democrat abroad who supports them.
The goals of the LGBT Caucus reflect the mission of Democrats Abroad to:
- engage and empower LGBTI Americans living abroad to vote in US elections;
- provide a platform for Democrats Abroad members, country committees and chapters to advance issues at the heart of the LGBTI community;
- support Democrats Abroad’s members in issues they face living abroad as LGBTI Americans, such as access to government services and benefits for same-sex spouses and family members, the legacy resulting from past discrimination and Defense of Marriage Act.
The LGBT Caucus:
- supports Democrats Abroad’s country committees and local chapters in organizing activities of interest to the LGBTI community, such as participation in pride events and voter outreach;
- disseminates information to Democrats Abroad members and promotes action on issues that affect LGBTI Americans and their families;
- ensures that the LGBTI perspective is effectively incorporated in all the work of Democrats Abroad, including issues advocacy, communication and GOTV strategy, planning and execution; ensures that issues and policies that impact LGBTI Americans are included in the Democrats Abroad and Democratic Party platforms;
- takes leadership in Democrats Abroad’s issues advocacy initiatives, including “door knock” visits to elected officials in Washington DC, to ensure that issues that impact LGBTI Americans living abroad and their families are included and addressed by elected representatives;
- encourages LGBTI members to run for elected leadership roles within Democrats Abroad and fulfill Democrats Abroad’s diversity and affirmative action goals;
- supports community building among Democrats Abroad’s LGBTI members and allies;
- promotes Democratic Party candidates who demonstrate commitment to policies that positively impact the lives of LGBTI Americans;
- supports and engages with Democratic Party LGBTI caucuses build capacity and achieve common goals.
Meghan Driscoll published New Leaders Elected at Annual General Meeting in News 2019-06-27 02:32:44 -0400
This June, members and leadership from around the country gathered in Bangkok for the Annual General Meeting (AGM) to elect the Executive Committee for Democrats Abroad Thailand. The AGM is always a great opportunity for active members from around the country to meet face to face to discuss strategy and re-energize for the year. Heartfelt farewells and thank yous went out to Phil Robertson, the outgoing Chair for a job well done, and those present welcomed Paul Risley into the position. Paul is a long time member of DAT and has served in various roles in the organization over the years. He will be supported by 3 Vice Chairs: Gary Suwannarat, Rick Graves and Russel Berman.
Newly elected executive committee members for 2019/ 2020:
Paul Risley, Meghan Driscoll and Rosalia GitauRead more
Meghan Driscoll published Democrats in Bangkok Get Out the Vote at the Annual Independance Day Picnic in News 2018-07-31 10:24:02 -0400
Democrats Abroad volunteers were out in force at the annual American Chamber of Commerce Independence Day picnic.
A highly anticipated event within the American expat community in Bangkok, this year's attendance was as big as ever with over 2,000 showing up for music, games and good food. The computers were humming at the DA table with Americans requesting absentee ballots. Printers were available so that everyone could print and sign their requests, place it in an addressed envelope and send it to the Embassy for mailing. Old friends joined the effort and many new faces came by to see how they could get involved in making the blue wave happen here in Thailand.
The Keg, March 21, 7:30pm, Trautenwolfstraße 1
We are re-instituting Young Democrats political pub night! The 3rd Tuesday of each month at one of Munich's hot spots: The Keg! Come to meet other liberal minded people and make sense of the madness as it is unfolding.
Please join us for another night of Young Democrats Politik and Bier!
Last month we had a great time and met lots of new faces.
Tap-House Munich (Munich's best craft beer bar)
Rosenheimer Str 108 81669 Munich
Meghan Driscoll donated 2016-04-25 06:30:25 -0400
You are almost to Berlin! Please input your payment info and the names of any additional registrants you are paying for. If you have any questions please email International Treasurer, Art Schankler Treasurer@DemocratsAbroad.org .Donate
Secretary of Democrats Abroad Thailand
In today's political climate, volunteering to promote social justice helps me sleep at night. Through DA I can encourage discourse on the ideas and issues that an informed citizenry should be discussing while offering opportunities for activism.