Democrats Abroad in Thailand Join THE Global VIRTUAL VIGIL
Vigils are being held worldwide on July 12th in protest of the Trump administration’s policy to keep migrants and refugees in detention camps. Several children have died as a result of negligence and unsanitary conditions in these camps, and thousands of people are being detained in overcrowded cages. Recent reports from visits to these facilities by members of congress and health officials have detailed astounding cruelty. Because we were unable to arrange for an in-person vigil on July 12th, we’re asking that our Stuttgart members participate virtually.
What You Can Do:
- Make a sign with a message to the Trump administration, then take a photo with your sign and post it to social media. Link Democrats Abroad Thailand then send it to us. We’ll post the photos on our FB page. You can even make a video and send it to us. We’ll post that on our social media sites including our YouTube page (DemsAbroadGermany). We suggest using this sign.
- Send a letter to the U.S. Embassy and the U.S. Consulates. This is a federal issue, and our federal government representatives need to hear from us. TYou can find a sample letter (modified from DA Barcelona) for use in Thailand by clicking here. Please feel free to use/adapt the letter as you wish.
- Contact your elected officials in the U.S. The Lights for Liberty website has numerous resources available including sample language for writing/speaking to elected officials.
Please send your photos and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can read more about DA Global's virtual vigil and learn more about the human rights violations happening at the U.S./Mexico border on the international DA news page.
Wherever you are, please join us and other Americans around the world and across the country as we rally to #closethecamps.
LOOKING FOR OTHER WAYS TO GET INVOLVED?
1. Spread the word before, during, and after Lights for Liberty events.
You can find sample social media posts here, or come up with your own using the hashtags #LightsforLiberty, #ClosetheCamps, and #DAResists.
2. Call Congress
3. Speak Out
"As American citizens, we are horrified by the atrocities being carried out in detention centers across the United States," said Julia Bryan, Democrats Abroad Global Chair. “Millions of Americans live overseas and have been welcomed in the countries where we live today. I cannot fathom the response if American citizens were treated the way our government is treating people seeking a better life in the US."
4. Learn the facts and use the resources from journalists and ally organizations:
- In Photos: As Fury Grows, Tens of Thousands Rally Across US Demanding Immediate Action to #CloseTheCamps (Common Dreams)
- The horrifying conditions facing kids in border detention, explained (Vox)
- How a lack of personal care products contributes to harrowing conditions for detained migrants (Vox)
- Dedicated section to news about In-Custody Deaths, tracked and published by The New York Times
- CBP & ICE Abuse Tracker, from United We Dream
- The Stories of Those Impacted, from United We Dream
Detentions By the Numbers, from Freedom for Immigrants
- Trump administration still separating hundreds of migrant children at the border through often questionable claims of danger (Houston Chronicle)
- Federal judge orders prompt mediation to determine if detention facilities and child migrants are safe (CNN)
- 4 Severely Ill Migrant Toddlers Hospitalized After Lawyers Visit Border Patrol Facility (HuffPo)
- The Detention Camps at the Border Are a Crime (The Atlantic)
- These Nonprofits and Businesses Are Making Millions From Detaining Immigrant Children (Sludge Magazine)
- What I saw at the Dilley, Texas, Immigrant Detention Center (The Nation)
- Lawmakers, including Ocasio-Cortez, lash out over conditions following border facility tours (CNN)
- Ayanna Pressley Delivers Speech After Visiting Migrant Detention Facilities (NowThis)
- Migrant Mothers Separated From Their Newborns Before Returning Them to Detention (Rewire News)
Detailed twitter thread outlining the atrocities currently happening at the camps.
- Feel Helpless Amidst the Horrific Immigration News? You’re Not. Here’s What To Do, a fantastic roundup from Together & Free
- Children Shouldn’t Be Dying at the Border. Here’s How You Can Help. (NYT)
- Attending an in-person event? Check out these posters from the American Friends Service Committee
- More posters can be found here (click to download).
Google map and directions