Robert Checkoway rsvped for Global Town Hall with Earl Fowlkes, LGBT Caucus Chair in the DNC 2018-02-17 05:54:43 -0500
Join us in a call with Earl Fowlkes, Chair of the LGBT Caucus of the Democratic National Committee, as he speaks about the various issues facing the LGBTQIA community under the current Administration, and about how the Democratic Party is addressing those issues and mobilizing the community to get out the vote in 2018. The call begins at 2pm DC time (8pm in Paris and Berlin) on February 28, 2018. Please RSVP below to join!
Note: this is an online event, so you will need an internet connection in order to attend.
About our speaker:
Philadelphia native Earl Fowlkes has for a long time been an activist for LGBTQIA rights and marriage equality. He is a founder and CEO of the Center for Black Equity, an international LGBT advocacy organization, a member of the Gertrude Stein Democratic Club, D.C.’s largest LGBT political organization, chair of the D.C. Commission on Human Rights, and since 2013, the chair of the LGBT Caucus in the DNC.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TIME LISTED IS U.S. EASTERNWHENFebruary 28, 2018 at 2pmWHEREOn Line Teleconference
Democrats Abroad is committed to a world where all persons have access to the same rights and benefits, regardless of sexual identity or gender expression.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Democrats Abroad LGBT Caucus is the constituency group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex members and any Democrat abroad who supports them.
The goals of the LGBT Caucus reflect the mission of Democrats Abroad to:
- engage and empower LGBTI Americans living abroad to vote in US elections;
- provide a platform for Democrats Abroad members, country committees and chapters to advance issues at the heart of the LGBTI community;
- support Democrats Abroad’s members in issues they face living abroad as LGBTI Americans, such as access to government services and benefits for same-sex spouses and family members, the legacy resulting from past discrimination and Defense of Marriage Act.
The LGBT Caucus:
- supports Democrats Abroad’s country committees and local chapters in organizing activities of interest to the LGBTI community, such as participation in pride events and voter outreach;
- disseminates information to Democrats Abroad members and promotes action on issues that affect LGBTI Americans and their families;
- ensures that the LGBTI perspective is effectively incorporated in all the work of Democrats Abroad, including issues advocacy, communication and GOTV strategy, planning and execution; ensures that issues and policies that impact LGBTI Americans are included in the Democrats Abroad and Democratic Party platforms;
- takes leadership in Democrats Abroad’s issues advocacy initiatives, including “door knock” visits to elected officials in Washington DC, to ensure that issues that impact LGBTI Americans living abroad and their families are included and addressed by elected representatives;
- encourages LGBTI members to run for elected leadership roles within Democrats Abroad and fulfill Democrats Abroad’s diversity and affirmative action goals;
- supports community building among Democrats Abroad’s LGBTI members and allies;
- promotes Democratic Party candidates who demonstrate commitment to policies that positively impact the lives of LGBTI Americans;
- supports and engages with Democratic Party LGBTI caucuses build capacity and achieve common goals.