Thanks to Covid, I can't travel home to New York City on a regular basis. In Munich, the asian food scene is pretty much non-existent. Since I don't have time to become a DimSum chef, I figured I could at least find a way to come close to my favorite New York salad - the Carmine's version.
Karen's Caesar Salad (no raw eggs)
2 small garlic cloves, minced
3 anchovy filets (or 1 tsp anchovy paste)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I like the brand Maille)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup off the shelf Mayonnaise (don't use Miracle Whip!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
3 romaine hearts
1 cup croutons** (more or less according to your tastebuds)
anchovy filets to top the salad - optional
1. Put all the ingredients for the dressing except the cheese in a food processor or blender and mix until smooth. If you dont have a food processor, just be sure to put your garlic through a a garlic press and chop the anchovies as fine as possible and mix by hand.
2. Add the cheese and mix. Set aside.
3. Wash and dry the salad. Chop it into 2 inch pieces. Put it in a large bowl.
4. Add your croutons, as many as you like.
5. Add the dressing. It will appear to be very thick. Mix the salad very well - the longer you mix it, the better distributed the dressing will be.
6. Top with anchovies and parmesan shavings.
*You can also make this dressing with greek yogurt instead of mayo and low-fat plain yogurt. I recommend adding a heaping tablespoon of virgin olive oil or mayonnaise if you choose to do so, otherwise it will taste thin and flat.
**Making croutons is super easy and worth the extra 5 minutes of time in the kitchen.
This recipe is based on the dressing that is listed at www.onceuponachef.com.