Free Webinar on Filing U.S. Taxes from Africa
Learn about basic tax-filing obligations and get answers to commonly-asked tax questions.
This webinar is for you, if you:
- recently moved to an African country from the U.S. and are unsure of your tax obligations
- haven't filed U.S. taxes for decades
- are scared to face your tax filing obligations
- don't know how to get started
- filed U.S. taxes for years but are unsure you're doing it correctly
- want straightforward answers for specific issues
Commonly-asked questions include:
- When is the tax filing deadline for taxpayers living in Africa?
- How much do I have to earn before filing U.S. taxes?
- How do I manage my student loans while living in Africa?
- Can I open a pension in an African country?
- Do I have to pay capital gains tax to the IRS when I sell my house or property in Africa?
- How much do I have to earn before being double-taxed?
- Do I get double-taxed if I'm self-employed or have a business in Africa?
John Benson, Chartered Certified Accountant, USA & South Africa
Nathalie Goldstein, CEO and IRS Enrolled Agent @ MyExpatTaxes
- Welcome, housekeeping, and introductions - 10 minutes
- Speaker presentations - 15 minutes per speaker - 30 minutes
- Q&A - 45 minutes
- Closing with contact information for Democrats Abroad and speakers - 5 minutes
Please submit your questions in advance via this form to prepare and shape the program around what most interests you. The deadline for submitting questions in advance is Wednesday, March 29, 2023. Questions may also be asked during the webinar.
This event will be recorded. Those unable to attend the webinar on March 12th, please sign up anyway and you'll receive a copy of the recording after the event. If you would like to receive regular updates from Democrats Abroad and you are not yet a member, please sign up here.
We cannot guarantee that all questions submitted before, during, or after the event will be answered, but we will try to answer as many questions as possible. Participants are encouraged to contact their state tax office, the IRS, or private tax advisers directly for any unanswered questions.
This event is closed to the press.
Disclaimer: Democrats Abroad cannot provide individual tax advice. We are not tax lawyers, accountants or advisers. Please consult a professional tax adviser/accountant/return preparer when addressing your personal tax matters.
We recommend the IRS Tax Return Preparer Directory to find a service provider who meets your needs and budget, though buyers need always beware. Democrats Abroad suggests Americans abroad in need of tax advice consult the IRS Tax Return Preparer Directory to find an advisor or tax return preparer near you or providing online services: https://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf
|View Your Timezone: http://timee.io/3rk||LOCATION||LOCAL TIME|
Add event to calendar
|Johannesburg, South Africa
4:00 - 5:30 pm SAST
5:00 - 6:30 pm EAT
10:00 - 11:30 AM EDT
Notice of DASA Annual General Meeting
Notice of Annual General Meeting
Democrats Abroad South Africa
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN to all members of Democrats Abroad South Africa (DASA) that:
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) of members will be held virtually on Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 6:00pm SA time to consider and act upon the following matters:
- Approval of the minutes of the last Annual General Meeting
- Report from the Chair for the preceding year
- Treasurer’s Report on accounts for the period January 2021 – March 2022
- Special Election to fill Executive Committee vacancies (for the period 2022 – 2023)
- Consideration of other matters as may properly come before the meeting
Any member of DASA is eligible to submit their candidacy for the four open positions on the Executive Committee: Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, and (1) Member-at-Large.
With 2022 a critical election year we need all hands on deck and encourage members interested in joining our leadership team to submit a CV, short motivation and which position(s) you’re running for. We’re looking for candidates who will play a proactive leadership role and have time to contribute regularly for a one-year tenure.
To be considered for a vacancy, you must be a member of DASA for at least 14 days prior to the AGM (March 15th). If you’re unsure of your current membership status, please confirm directly with Bradley Jackson, DASA Chair. Those new to Democrats Abroad are invited to join by February 28th at https://www.democratsabroad.org/join to be eligible.
The Nominations and Election Committee (NEC) is accepting nominations, please submit your candidacy via email to [email protected]. The nominations and elections committee will gladly discuss any aspect of serving on the Executive Committee and answer any questions you may have about DASA.
Please submit your candidacy for the interested office on or before midnight on February 22nd.
Ballots for the Exco Special elections will be sent out to all DASA members on February 24th.
Every DASA member is invited and encouraged to attend the AGM.
Hope to see you all on the March 15th!
From DA South Africa
Democrats Abroad South Africa is back!
A group of American men and women unhappy with the state of the Union and ready to work to turn it around relaunched DAZA Johannesburg this weekend.Read more