Receive our Tiny Actions email:
- strengthening overseas voting rights, especially for US children born abroad;
- reforming FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act);
- pushing for RBT (Residence Based Taxation);
- maintaining and refunding the Election Assistance Commission, and advocating for local, publicly available recordkeeping on overseas voter participation; and
- hindering the proposed State Department budget cuts (including funding for American Citizen Services, educational exchanges, USAID, etc.).
While we're on the Hill advocating for our members' shared interests, we would love to hand-deliver your personal messages as constituents directly to your Senators and Representatives.
Please send your letters and emails directly to your Congressional delegation, but also send a copy with the title DOOR KNOCK in cc: to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will print and hand-deliver those messages to any delegation member on our meeting schedule.
In order to be included, your message must be received by May 13, 2017.
Don't hesitate to use our resources if you're not sure who your Representative or Senators are, you need some guidance on how to best craft a letter, or you'd like a short calling script on our door knock issues. We've got you covered!
- Check out how your U.S. representative voted on the devastating "Trumpcare 2.0" AHCA bill and call their office to either thank them for voting NO on its passage or express your strong displeasure with their YES vote.
- Call or write your Representative and Senators about any one of the five issues listed above related to the Congressional Door Knock visits. If you send a letter or email before May 13, don't forget to cc: email@example.com.
- Join DA in a Memorial Day action to honor our wounded service members by sending a nonpartisan card of appreciation (and, if you like, any chocolate except Kinder eggs) to Jennifer Sargeant/Woody Woodard, The USO Warrior Center (BLDG 3750), Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Dr. Hitzelberger Strasse, D-66849 Landstuhl, Germany.
- Call and write your Representative and Senators about all five issues listed above related to the Congressional Door Knock visits. If you send a letter or email before May 13, don't forget to cc: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register to observe DA's Annual General Meeting in Washington, DC, from May 12-15. Remote attendance for leaders and members is made possible via WebEx; while all meetings are free, a donation is requested to cover the technical costs of providing universal access.
Here are five specific actions we've identified for the month of April. When the news cycle seems darker than ever, don't despair -- do something!
If you've got FIVE MINUTES:
The unfairness of dual tax filing got you down? It's not too late to participate in the #DAresists #virtualtaxmarch! Show us and all your online friends, family, and followers your sign demanding Trump release his tax returns (more info here) [link to: http://www.americanresistancesevilla.com/action-plan/were-launching-a-virtual-tax-march-starting-now] ; increase the impact by tagging your U.S. senators and representative. Please use the hashtags above so DA can share your photos, too!
If you've got TEN MINUTES:
Identify your members of Congress (Senators and Congressperson) and create a reference document with their contact information (email, local and DC addresses, and local and DC phone numbers); enter their numbers into your phone's contacts or Skype phone book. If you know your US ZIP(+4), [link to: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction_input] you can easily find their contact info here [link to: http://votesmart.org/] (enter it into the search field next to the ISPY logo). If you don't do so already, follow their social media accounts and sign up for their email newsletters.
Request your absentee ballots for 2017 using Vote from Abroad [link to: http://www.votefromabroad.org/] and VOTE if you're from a state/district holding a special election this year (check to see if your state is holding a special election here). [link to: http://www.democratsabroad.org/eileenw/important_u_s_elections_in_2017]
If you've got THIRTY MINUTES:
Check how your U.S. senators voted on ending the Democratic filibuster [link to: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=1&vote=00110] (a.k.a. "invoking cloture" using the "nuclear option") on ultraconservative Neil Gorsuch's nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court and write or call them either thanking them for their NO vote or criticizing them for their YES vote. (Aren't you glad we put together all that contact information above?)
If you've got A COUPLE HOURS:
Join a #DAresists #marchforscience #globalsciencemarch near you! DA chapters around the globe are organizing and supporting satellite marches [link to: https://www.marchforscience.com/satellite-marches/] to the DC March for Science this Saturday, April 22nd (Earth Day). Take your kids, take your friends, compete to make the cheekiest or nerdiest sign in support of scientific inquiry and progress generally and applying its hard-won results to better policymaking specifically. Please use the hashtags above so DA can share your demonstration photos, too!