Welcome to the Global Disability Caucus (GDC)!
Over 1 billion people across the globe live with a disability.
We speak for them.
The mission of the Democrats Abroad Global Disability Caucus is to provide a voice for individuals with disabilities across its global membership; to help organize the group’s agenda; to work with allies within other Democratic parties and disability rights groups to ensure that all activities and venues are accessible; and to educate and empower Democrats Abroad members and leaders about the issues impacting individuals with disabilities. Our members are not only persons with disabilities but also their allies. We all believe that
THE FUTURE IS ACCESSIBLE!
- Provide a voice for individuals with disabilities across Democrats Abroad global membership.
- Ensure that the organization is fully ADA compliant.
- Advocate on proposed legislation addressing disability rights.
- Educate, empower and activate Democrats Abroad members and leaders about the issues impacting persons with disabilities.
- Facilitate GOTV efforts for Americans with disabilities living overseas.
Join Us! Sign up to get news and information or volunteer to join our team! Click JOIN THE CAUCUS button!
An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment. The ADA does not specifically name all of the impairments that are covered.
CDC describes 7 major categories of primary barriers to participation for people with disabilities - they are described in this article and listed below.