DAGR ANNUAL FOURTH OF JULY POLITICS QUIZ
1. Who was the only Senator (super delegate) to endorse Sanders in the Primaries?
a. Elizabeth Warren
b. Jeff Merkley
c. Barbara Boxer
2. Merrick Garland, chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for DC, was appointed by Obama to replace which Supreme Court justice?
a. Antonin Scalia
b. Ruth Bader-Ginsberg
c. Arthur Kennedy
3. As a result of the sit-in staged by Dems in the US House to force a vote on sensible gun control measures, the House ___ .
a. voted in favor of background checks and an assault weapons ban
b. approved stiffer checks to prevent terrorists from buying guns
c. went on vacation, returned and now continues to block a vote
4. What idea did NOT appear in the language, notes, and debates on the 2nd Amendment?
a. the individual’s right to own a gun for self-defense or recreation
b. an individual’s right to own a gun if needed to defend the country
c. the potential need for the country to defend itself in the future
5. Which ítem in the Dems Abroad Platform may NOT get into the DNC Platform today?
a. Dump the TPP/TTIP trade agreements
b. Produce 50% of US power from renewables by 2050.
c. Raise the US mínimum wage to $15/hr
6. Who’s FOR the proposed free trade agreements, TPP and TTIP?
a. US Congress and the US administration
b. Clinton, Sanders, Trump and Obama
c. Obama but not Clinton and Sanders
7. What, if any, effect may the Chilcot Report have on the US?
a. Families of military sent to Iraq may sue GWBush et al for damages.
b. US DOJ may prosecute Bush admin officials for WMD misinformation.
c. No action: “Let’s focus on the future.”
8. How many Articles of Impeachment were presented to the US House, June 9, 2008, in H.Res. 1258? Against whom? By whom?
a. 15 against GW Bush et al, by Rep. Barbara Mikulski
b. 22 against Dick Cheney et al, by then-Rep. Bernie Sanders
c. 35 against GW Bush, by Rep. Dennis Kucinich
9. Which Florida politician is running against the current DNC Chair?
a. Tim Canova
b. Alan Grayson
c. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz
10. Which organization is headed by Howard Dean’s brother, Jim?
BONUS: What do the acronyms stand for? What was the original name of DFA? OFA?
11. Who’s the progressive Dem House candidate in the NY-19th?
a. Pete DeFazio
b. Zephyr Teachout
c. Kirsten Gillibrand
12. In an April 22, 2016 article, the Wall Street Journal explored something that these 6 Republican senators have in common. What was the object of the WSJ’s concern?
Senators: Rob Portman (Ohio), Ron Johnson (Wisconsin), Kelly Ayotte (New Hampshire), Mark Kirk (Illinois), Richard Burr (North Carolina) and Pat Toomey (Pennsylvania)
13. FUN FACTS ABOUT BERNIE SANDERS (T/F?)
_____ He worked as a carpenter before entering politics and has released a folk album
_____ Since 2009, Sanders top five campaign contributions have come from labor unions.
_____ He is only the second Democratic senator ever to represent Vermont
_____ He won his first election, as mayor of Burlington, VT, by 10 votes.
14. FUN FACTS ABOUT HILARY CLINTON (T/F?)
_____ She won a Grammy Award in 1996.
_____ She worked a job sliming fish in Alaska during college.
_____ She campaigned for Goldwater in 1964 as a “Goldwater Girl” and went on to campaign for George McGovern in 1968
_____ She tried to join the Marines at age 27, but was told, “You’re too old, you can’t see and you’re a woman.”
15. FUN FACTS ABOUT DONALD TRUMP (T/F?)
____ His sister is a federal appeals court judge.
____ He is an Ivy League university graduate.
_____ He graduated from the same Military Academy for troubled teens as Francis Ford Coppola, Stephen Sondheim and John Gotti, Jr.
____ He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
____ He participated in WWE’s Wrestlemania 23.
16. IN CASE YOU’VE FORGOTTEN WHAT’S AT STAKE:
Which of these quotations is NOT attributable to Donald Trump? Circle the number of the right answer.
1. “ An extremely credible source has called my office and told me that Barak Obama’s birth certificate is a fraud.
2. “Our great African-African President hasn’t exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore.”
3. It’s freezing and snowing in New York. We need global warming.”
4. I will build a great great wall on our Southern border. I will make Mexico pay for it.”
5. “I’ve said that if Ivanka wasn’t my daughter, maybe I’d be dating her.”
6. “My IQ is one of the highest – and you know it.”
7. “I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.”
8. “The only card that Hilary Clinton has is the woman’s card…”
9. "They're (Muslims) not coming to this country if I'm president. And if Obama has brought some to this country they are leaving, they're going, they're gone."
10. “He’s (John McCain) not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
11. He said (or tweeted) it all. YOU CAN’T MAKE THIS STUFF UP.
Tick the statements about Voting From Abroad that are TRUE.
* If you live outside the US, you must register every year you want to vote.
* If you request a Democratic Primary ballot, your state will send your information to Democrats Abroad.
* The only way to become a member of Democrats Abroad is to JOIN.
* When you fill out the VFA registration app, it goes online, directly to your home state.
* Mail your voter registration application to your county voting authority, usually called a Registrar or County Board of Elections.
* Democrats Abroad has a Global Primary every two years, in the even-numbered years.
* If you vote for President in the DA GPP, you may NOT vote for President OR for delegates for that candidate in your home state election.
* If you vote in the DA GPP, you MAY vote for other ‘down-ballot’ races on your state ballot.
* ‘Down-ballot’ races might include US Senate and House, state legislatura, mayor and US Supreme Court justices.
* Military personnel overseas can register and vote online (UOCAVA).
* Civilian voters can fill in the application to register online, but must print, sign and send the hard copy back to their home county voting authority.
* Most US states currently use electronic (touchscreen) voting machines and will accept online votes from abroad as well.
* Your state Sec’y of State keeps track of who you vote for. If you usually vote for Democrats, they will send you a Democratic Primary ballot.
* To stay a member of Dems Abroad, you must make contact at least every four years, by attending events, updating your contact information, or talking to a phone volunteer.
* If you move to a different country abroad, you can move your membership to their DA group.
* If you move back to the US, you are no longer be a member of Democrats Abroad.
* DAGR has a Women’ Caucus, a Young Democrats group, an LGBT Caucus and a group working on taxation issues.