Wildfires in Australia. Wildfires in California. The Amazon burned to make way for cattle grazing. Pledges to plant a billion trees. Carbon offsetting by protecting forests. The planet’s forests have become ground zero for climate impacts and climate action.
In honor of Earth Week 2021, The Climate Action Team and Democrats Abroad Spain are hosting “Our Forests and Our Climate: an Earth Week Guided Discussion” with Daniel James, newly elected chair of DA Spain.
Daniel has decades of expertise in forest management and environmental policy, working on the Hill, for the US Forest service, and most recently, as Acting Deputy Under Secretary and senior advisor for Natural Resources and Environment at USDA.
Date: April 21, 2021
Time: 6:00 PM CET/12 PM EST
This is a virtual event; RSVP for the link
We hope you will attend to learn more about the connection between forests and climate change, and the importance of protecting and preserving forests to the planet. We want you to be inspired to take action!
Here are some suggested watchings/readings to introduce you to the subject and spark some questions.
Submit your questions in advance to [email protected]! Please use the subject line “Climate and Forests”.
Daniel James was recently elected chair for DA Spain. He served 34 years in public service and retired from USDA in 2019. His last role was Acting Deputy Under Secretary and senior advisor for Natural Resources and Environment. In that role Daniel led the NRE Mission area which included the US Forest Service, and for a period Natural Resource Conservation Service and Gulf Coast Restoration work.
He was appointed Associate Chief of the Forest Service in July 2016. Prior to this appointment, Daniel, served in many leadership positions, including:
- Regional Forester of the Rocky Mountain Region;
- Deputy Regional Forester in the Pacific Southwest Region; Forest Supervisor of the Santa Fe National Forest;
- District Ranger on the Salt Lake Ranger District of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest;
- District Ranger on the South Park Ranger District of the Pike and San Isabel National Forest, Comanche, and Cimarron National Grasslands;
- Director of Communications and Legislative Affairs of the Intermountain Region, National Press Officer in Washington, D.C.;
- and aide to the United States Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell of Colorado when he was in the US House of Representatives.
He represented USDA on the National Advisory Council for Historic Preservation, National Wildland Fire Leadership Council and also served on the Board for the Sierra Conservancy and the National Leadership Council for the National Forest Foundation.
Daniel earned a bachelor’s degree from Colorado State University and a Master’s degree from Regis University of Denver. He and his partner Aaron live in Barcelona, Spain.
Don’t forget that The Climate Action Team has curated this list of virtual Earth Day events - there is something to fit every time zone and every age group.