Stuttgart and Southwestern Germany
May/June 2022 Newsletter
“Governments who manipulate population growth have two choices: making maternity pleasant, or making it inescapable.”
On May 15th the Stuttgart and Southwestern Germany Chapter participated in the global “Bans Off Our Bodies” protest, which drew a large crowd and many curious onlookers.
Should the Supreme Court overturn Roe v. Wade, the change would pose a profound threat to maternal health in the US, according to experts. A leaked draft opinion suggested that the court is likely to reverse the ruling that gave women the constitutional right to abortion nearly 50 years ago. The final decision is expected at the end of this month or early July.
The DA Global Meeting took place on the weekend of
May 21st, which gave members a chance to get to know one another and discuss current events.
On Saturday, May 28th our chapter held a Vote From
Abroad table in Vaihingen. We met a lot of Americans and were thrilled to hear that everyone we spoke to is registered to vote!
On June 11th Democrats Abroad members all over the world joined our fellow Americans back home to March for Our Lives. The horrific shootings at Robb Elementary in Uvalde and the Tops supermarket in Buffalo have reminded us once again of the terrible toll that gun violence has inflicted on our country.
“It takes a monster to kill children. But to watch monsters kill children again and again and do nothing isn’t just insanity—it’s inhumanity.
As we remember the many who were taken too soon by gun violence, we must honour their memories with action. Now is our chance to make a difference with our vote; now is the time to vote for our lives!
Request your 2022 Ballots now!
Primary elections are quickly approaching in many states. Make your voice heard by voting!
- District of Columbia, Virginia - June 21
- Colorado, Illinois, Oklahoma, Utah - June 28 - Maryland - July 19
Request your ballots early!
Is your State not listed? Find your deadlines here: www.votefromabroad.org
Need help voting? Write to [email protected]
• Tuesday, June 21: a special event with Wisconsin Senator Tammy Baldwin and the LGBTQ+ Caucus at 2 pm EDT
• Saturday, June 25: Vote From Abroad table in Tübingen in front of the Stiftskirche on the Holzmarkt from 2-5 pm. Please contact us if you would like to volunteer!
• Saturday, June 25: Stocherkahn ride on the Neckar in Tübingen from 6:30-9:30. Donation per person of $15 requested. Our very own Vice Chair WyMing Lin will be our captain!
• Saturday & Sunday, June 25-26: Dialing 4 Democracy call-a-thon. This is a 48-hour voter mobilisation call-a-thon, where DA members will make as many calls as we can to battleground state voters living overseas.
•Sunday, June 26: North Carolinians Abroad will welcome Cheri Beasley for U.S. Senate
• Monday, July 4: July 4th party at the Forum 3 in Stuttgart from 7-9 pm. Please RSVP by Thursday, June 30th.
• Saturday, July 9: Vote From Abroad table in Reutlingen on the Wilhelmsstrasse, in front of the Spitalhof, from 11-2:30 pm. If you would like to volunteer, please reach out to us!
• Saturday, July 30: Pride Parade Stuttgart. Please RSVP by Friday, July 15th. A donation of $15 for all participants is kindly requested. More details to be announced. Join us in celebrating Pride Month!
In trying times it helps to find solidarity in like-minded people, working together for a good cause.
Wishing everyone a fantastic summer!
Stuttgart and Southwestern Germany