Stuttgart and Southwestern Germany
October 2022 Newsletter
“Someone struggled for your right to vote. Use it.” —Susan B. Anthony, women’s rights activist
There are many items on the table for the midterms this year. Every seat in the House of Representatives is up for grabs, as well as 35 U.S. Senate seats and 36 governorships. Some states have down-ballot races for attorney general, secretary of state, or control of state legislatures that could have wide-ranging effects for years to come, as well as hot-button issues like health care, abortion rights and climate change.
The margin on these races is very tight, in part due to the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, which overturned Roe v. Wade. The FBI search of the former President’s home in August has motivated Republican base voters to participate in elections. General concerns about the future of American democracy, expressed across the aisle, is sparking greater interest in the elections this November. Polls also show that the economy and inflation are top issues this year, as well as crime and gun policy.
Make your voice heard by sending your ballot back today!! Please go to votefromabroad.org to register, request your ballot or follow up on your ballot. With over 2.9 million US citizens living overseas eligible to vote, our voice can make a huge impact on the midterms this year! Have your friends and family members voted? Make sure everyone you know is registered to vote!
You can help our cause by reaching out to everyone you know to make sure their vote is cast! We are currently looking for phone bankers to reach US citizens living abroad to remind them to vote. Our chapter is coloring beautiful postcards to mail to US citizens living overseas, please reach out to us if you would like to contribute your time and energy! You can also make a donation to help support the work we do.
Last month our chapter held a Vote from Abroad table in downtown Stuttgart- Vaihingen. The fall weather couldn’t dampen our spirit; we spoke with many Americans and our furry mascot helped raise spirits on that rainy day!
At our chapter meeting held September 30th at Forum 3 in Stuttgart, the wish was voiced by our members to do something to celebrate the holidays. Instead of having a chapter meeting in November and December, we are offering the following events:
• Saturday, November 26th at 4:45 pm: Thanksgiving Event in Ludwigsburg. Join us for a festive candlelight tour of the beautiful baroque castle in Ludwigsburg, a short stop at the Christmas market, followed by a group dinner at a central restaurant. Price p.p. is €15 for the tour, dinner not included. Participants are limited to 25, so please RSVP timely at [email protected], on our NB or FB site.
• Saturday, December 17th at 6 pm: Christmas Extravaganza in Esslingen. Celebrate the holiday season with us in the picturesque town of Esslingen. We will meet at the Christmas market, enjoy the many different booths & go for dinner in a charming restaurant dating back to the 15th century. Seating is limited to 20, so please RSVP timely at [email protected], on our NB or FB site.
There are many interesting events lined up this month. Please go to our Nation Builder or Facebook sites for detailed information:
• Friday, October 14 at 1 pm Eastern time: Meet the Democratic Candidates Fighting for Florida
• Saturday, October 15 at 4 am Eastern time: Intercom Training & Office Hours
• Saturday, October 15 at 11 am Eastern time: Service First: Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin, together with the Global Women’s Caucus & Military Family Caucus
• Sunday, October 16 at 12 pm Eastern time: Ohio State Team Meeting
• Monday, October 17 at 1 pm Eastern time: Meet the Maine Governor, Janet
• Tuesday, October 18 at 1 pm Eastern time: Meet the North Carolina
• Wednesday, October 19 at 2 pm Eastern time: Intercom Training & Office
• Saturday, October 22 at 4 am Eastern time: Intercom Training & Office Hours
• Wednesday, October 26 at 7 pm Berlin time: Braver Angels Abroad Europe
-Depolarizing Within Workshop
Wishing everyone a joyous fall and Happy Halloween!