- International Chair
- International Vice Chair
- International Treasurer
- International Secretary
- International Counsel
Please submit nominations via the nomination form by clicking here no later than Sunday, April 23rd 11:59PM EDT. This date and time shall be ‘the close of nominations.’
Here is a summary of the requirements per the Democrats Abroad Charter, Article Four:
- An individual qualified for DPCA office shall have been a member of Democrats Abroad for more than six (6) months prior to the close of nominations for the DPCA election (i.e., October 23, 2022).
- Each international officer shall serve a term of two years, and none may serve for more than two consecutive terms in the same office.
- The International Chair and International Vice Chair shall be from different Country Committees and shall be of different sex, as declared by each candidate in advance of the election. The term “sex” is defined as male, female, intersex, or any other classification of sex or gender that is legally recognized by any state or federal jurisdiction within the United States of America.
- No more than two of the officers may be from the same Country Committee at the time of the election, and such offices shall be held by individuals from at least two (2) different Regions.
- The International Counsel must be a qualified legal practitioner.
Descriptions of the above officer roles and responsibilities can be viewed here.
Each nomination should contain an affirmation that the nominee is qualified to run for the office in question. That requires a confirmation of the following requirements:
- the nominee must be a U.S. citizen (copy of passport or other valid document will be required);
- the nominee must be living abroad;
- the nominee must adhere to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States;
- the nominee must be a member of Democrats Abroad for more than six (6) months prior to the close of nominations for the DPCA election; and
- the nominees for international counsel must be qualified to practice law
Each eligible nominee will be asked to complete a questionnaire to provide a detailed candidate profile that will be available on the DA website.
The Nominations and Elections Committee will be providing guidance about its decisions and processes.
The DPCA Charter provides that nominations of qualified candidates for office may be made from the floor at the election meeting. The NEC is in discussions to determine by what mechanism this will be facilitated. Check the Guidance doc linked to above for more information.
The newly elected officers will assume their duties immediately after the election held at the online 2023 annual Democrats Abroad Global Meeting.
At present, the international officers are:
- Chair – Candice Kerestan (Germany)*
- Vice-Chair – Art Schankler (Serbia)*
- Interim Secretary – Leedonal Moore (Switzerland)*
- Interim Treasurer – Corey Lemke (Korea)*
- Counsel – Orlando Vidal (UAE)**
* Indicates officers who are in their first term and are eligible to run again.
** Resigned April 30, 2023
Please direct any questions to [email protected].
Respectfully submitted, on behalf of the DPCA Nominations and Elections Committee (2023),