About Democrats Abroad
Democrats Abroad is the official Democratic Party arm for the nine million U.S. citizens living outside the United States. We strive to provide U.S. citizens abroad a democratic voice in our government and elect Democratic candidates by mobilizing the overseas vote.
Democrats Abroad has 48 country committees throughout Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Oceania. These country committees keep Americans abroad informed of their rights and help them participate in the U.S. political process. Our members live in more than 200 countries around the globe and vote in every state and Congressional district in the United States.
About the Voter Protection Director Position
Democrats Abroad is seeking a talented, dedicated professional to spearhead a voter protection program for U.S. citizens who vote from outside of the United States. The Voter Protection Director will refine and execute a voter protection plan for the 2022 midterm elections as well as lead a team of volunteer legal specialists – with the overarching goal of ensuring that every U.S. citizen abroad can and does exercise their fundamental right to vote.
The Voter Protection Director will work closely with the Democrats Abroad International Chair, Executive Committee, and volunteer teams to ensure cross departmental efficiency within Democrats Abroad. Externally, the Voter Protection Director will work with numerous Democratic state parties, the Democratic National Committee, election officials, and campaigns across the United States.
- Refine and execute a comprehensive voter protection program to identity and triage voting issues impacting U.S. citizens abroad
- See that inquiries from U.S. citizens abroad who face challenges casting their ballots are promptly addressed and systematically documented
- Build relationships with election officials and Democratic state parties to lead strategies for expanding access and combating intrusions to voting from abroad
- Monitor for legislative and/or regulatory changes impacting U.S. citizens’ ability to vote from abroad
- Intensely and regularly evaluate overseas voting procedures to structure Democrats Abroad’s voter protection program in a way that maximizes voter turnout and minimizes rejected ballots
- Regularly conduct trainings on best practices for overseas voter protection strategies and processes
- Build and lead a team of volunteer legal specialists
Skills & Qualifications
- Deep familiarity with overseas voting laws, procedures, obstacles, and opportunities
- Experience with and knowledge of voter protection programs, preferably in more than one U.S. state or territory
- Juris Doctor or comparable degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in political organizing and/or voter protection
- Previous experience leading volunteer teams
- Confident user of Google Workspace and online video call platforms
- Ability to work in a global setting, with team members in multiple time zones
- U.S. citizenship (dual-citizen applications welcome)
- Commitment to helping Democrats Abroad, the Democratic Party, and Democratic candidates succeed
- Experience living outside of the United States advantageous
- Proficiency in NationBuilder, VoteBuilder, or VAN advantageous
Travel required: No
Time committment: Full-time
Reports to: Democrats Abroad International Chair and Executive Committee
Language: English; written and spoken working proficiency in at least one other language advantageous
Earliest Start Date: July 2022
End Date: December 2022, with possibility of extension
Salary: $6,000 USD/month
Applications: Send resume and cover letter to [email protected] and indicate the position name in the subject line.
Democrats Abroad is committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, with opportunities to provide and the ability to take feedback and learn. It is our policy to recruit, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, pregnancy, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity, disability, or any other legally protected basis.