About the Position
Democrats Abroad (DA) was the margin of victory for Joe Biden in Georgia and Arizona, and we’re determined to continue delivering scale-tipping votes in races across the United States in 2022. A key part of our success with U.S. voters living abroad is attributable to the work of the International Treasurer, who oversees our finances, assists with budgeting, and ensures our compliance with the Federal Election Commission (FEC). The International Treasurer should have accounting and bookkeeping experience, preferably for FEC reporting purposes; knowledge of DA’s structure and policies; and strong interpersonal and project management skills that can be applied in a volunteer setting.
The Treasurer is, according to the DA Charter (Section 4.9), specifically responsible for:
- Establishing an annual budget for approval by the International Executive Committee
- Overseeing and maintaining records of DA’s bank and other financial accounts
- Making and presenting an annual financial report to DA’s leaders
- Ensuring that any necessary reports or filings with the Democratic National Committee (DNC) or other U.S. federal and/or state government agencies are made in a timely manner
Additionally, other regular tasks include:
- Disbursing funds following approval by the International Chair and/or the International Executive Committee
- Providing a financial report to the International Executive on a bi-weekly basis
- Attending bi-weekly meetings of the International Executive Committee
- Providing input and advice to ensure that all fundraising, disbursements, and reporting are made in accordance with election laws and FEC regulations
- Together with the IT and Fundraising Coordinators, ensuring that DA’s donation websites are functioning, accurate, and up-to-date
- Working with DA’s Country Committees to ensure that country-level bookkeeping is done correctly
Skills & Qualifications
- Commitment to helping DA, the Democratic Party, and Democratic candidates succeed
- Member of Democrats Abroad (join here)
- Understanding of DA’s organizational structure at all levels
- Ability to manage multiple projects across multiple time zones
- Experience with accounting and bookkeeping (preferred)
- Familiarity with FEC reporting structures and processes (preferred)
- Very comfortable working with numbers
- Strong Microsoft Office and Google Workspace skills, specifically with Excel and Sheets
- Extremely dependable, with a proven track record of meeting important deadlines
Estimated Time Commitment: 15-20 hours/week
Start Date: As soon as possible
End Date: May 2022, with the possibility of extending through May 2023 pending approval by DA’s voting leaders at the May 2022 Global Meeting
Compensation: Unpaid (but tremendously rewarding!)
Please send your resume and a cover letter outlining your vision and qualifications for the role in PDF format to [email protected] by December 6, 2021.
NOTE: Per DA’s Charter, the International Treasurer is elected at the Global Meeting in odd-numbered years for a two year term, as was the case earlier this year in May. Unfortunately, the International Treasurer elected at the 2021 Global Meeting in May has resigned. This vacancy on the International Executive Committee will be filled by a vote of the seven other members of the International Executive Committee (Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Legal Counsel, Americans Regional Vice Chair, Asia-Pacific Regional Vice Chair, and EMEA Regional Vice Chair). The International Chair has decided to include this position in the applications process used to fill other positions.
Also, per the Charter, the five Democrats Abroad International Officers (Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, and Legal Counsel) must be from at least two of DA’s three regions. Four of the five International Officers (Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and Counsel) reside in the EMEA Region, and as such we may only accept applications for International Treasurer from members residing in the Americas and Asia-Pacific Regions.
Democrats Abroad is committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, with opportunities to provide and the ability to take feedback and learn. It is our policy to recruit, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, pregnancy, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity, disability, or any other legally protected basis.