March 17, 2018 Chapter Meeting PLUS...
Upcoming March Events,
Anti Gun Violence Campaign,
...and it’s time to
Register to Vote for the Upcoming Primary Elections and the November Mid-Term Elections!
Democrats Abroad Florence stands in solidarity with the students, teachers, victims and their families, and all Americans who demand change in our gun laws so that the epidemic of gun violence ends now.
Our sorrow and anger must be directed towards action. We feel our efforts as a chapter of Democrats Abroad lie in activism towards changing legislation. At our March 17 meeting, we are initiating a letter writing campaign and a social media campaign to promote the #NeverAgain Movement. We encourage you to make your voice heard.
If each Congress person does not listen to our collective voices and work hard to pass legislation for stricter gun laws, including comprehensive background checks, closing loop holes, and an absolute ban on all assault weapons and high capacity magazines, they will not be re-elected this fall.
We strongly encourage our members to:
- Get registered to vote for this year’s Primary & Midterm Elections.
- Visit the websites listed below which list companies that support the NRA and those who have distanced themselves and no longer support the NRA.
- Participate in the boycott! Let’s strip the NRA of its power over politics.
We will communicate to our members any activities/marches organized by our fellow Resistance groups in Florence in support of these scheduled events.
DA Florence Chapter Meeting
Saturday March 17th at 11:00 am – 12.45 pm
Join us for some Irish breakfast tea or green tea at this St. Patrick’s Day meeting! Agenda:
- Organizational meeting for our GET OUT THE VOTE efforts this spring and summer. Please join us and participate in volunteering for a future VR event.
- Draft an Anti Gun Violence letter for members to send to their representatives in Congress. Take pictures for a #NeverAgain social media campaign.
National School Walk-out
(Parkland, Florida School Shooting)
Wednesday, March 14th
The Walkout, to protest Congress’ inaction, is scheduled at 10 am across every time zone. It will last for 17 minutes, one minute for each life lost in the Feb. 14 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. For more info and how you can show solidarity visit #ENOUGH
"March for Our Lives" Demonstration
Saturday, March 24th
“On March 24, the kids and families of March For Our Lives will take to the streets of Washington DC to demand that their lives and safety become a priority and that we end gun violence and mass shootings in our schools today.”
Companies still supporting NRA :
The quick success of the NRA Boycott:
IT’S TIME TO REGISTER TO VOTE, AGAIN!
GET IT DONE IN TIME FOR THE PRIMARY ELECTIONS STARTING THIS SPRING.
As the U.S. Embassy in Rome reminds us:
“This year the entire House of Representatives and a third of the U.S. Senate are up for election. Don’t miss your opportunity to vote in your state’s primary election as it will determine who is on the November 2018 general election ballot.”
REGISTER TO VOTE FROM OUTSIDE THE U.S. IN 3 EASY STEPS:
1. GO TO WWW.VOTEFROMABROAD.ORG
2. FILL OUT THE VOTER REGISTRATION / ABSENTEE BALLOT REQUEST FORM. YOU MUST PRINT YOUR FORM AND SIGN IT.
3. MAIL YOUR FORM TO THE COUNTY CLERK / ELECTIONS OFFICE IN YOUR
HOME STATE WHERE YOU LAST RESIDED. OR YOU CAN DROP OFF YOUR
SIGNED, SEALED, READY TO MAIL ENVELOPE AT THE U.S. CONSULATE.
*You must be a U.S. citizen and at least 18 years of age at time of election in order to vote.
**Find your state’s primary election dates at Election Dates by State and select your voting state from the drop-down menu.