Please consider becoming a leader of the UAE chapter of Democrats Abroad! Democrats Abroad (DA) is the official Democratic Party arm for the millions of US citizens living outside the US. DA-UAE has an elected Executive Committee (ExCom) that directs the work of the organization. We are currently taking nominations for all ExCom positions, which are all two-year terms. You do not have to have prior experience to run for a position - we welcome new members and new ideas!
The positions on the Executive Committee that we need to fill are listed below.
- Chair - The Chair is the chief executive officer of DA-UAE, responsible for calling and presiding over all general meetings and the ExCom, establishing the agenda of such meetings, and carrying out the DA-UAE programs, policies, and activities.
- Vice Chair - In the absence of the Chair, the Vice Chair is responsible for fulfilling the duties of the Chair. The Vice Chair may also have other duties to support the Chair. Please note that the Chair and Vice Chair must be of different genders, per DA-UAE bylaws.
- Secretary - The Secretary maintains a current list of members of the organization, takes and distributes the minutes of all meetings, and maintains all DA-UAE files and administrative records.
- Treasurer - The Treasurer manages DA-UAE finances and makes financial reports to members as needed..
- Counsel - The Counsel provides advice on legal and procedural issues (note: the DA-UAE bylaws do not require that this position is filled by a lawyer, but someone with legal knowledge would be helpful).
- Democratic Party Committee Abroad (DPCA) Voting Representative - The DPCA Voting Representative represents Democrats Abroad UAE in international meetings, this position may require international travel and out of pocket expenses (although virtual attendance is also acceptable).
- At-Large Members (2 positions available).The At-Large Members participate in the work of the ExCom to support the organization by engaging in such projects and committees as needed for the effective functioning of DA-UAE.
IF YOU WANT TO RUN FOR ONE OF THESE POSITIONS, please complete the google form in this email to declare your interest by 31 of March 2021.
We will also be hosting a virtual mixer where you can learn more about these positions from those currently serving in these roles. This mixer will be online on the 20th of March 2021 (invitation link will be sent separately). If you have any personal questions, please contact Lani San Antonio, Nominating Committee Chair, at [email protected].
Google Form to submit nominations: https://forms.gle/
The Nominations Committee will send out the slate of candidates by 3 April, and we will be open voting online prior to our Annual General Meeting on 24 April at 3:00 pm UAE time. Ballots and information regarding the annual meeting will be sent closer to the election.
If you want to know more about the nominations and governance process or have ideas or questions, please email Lani San Antonio, Chair of the Nominating Committee, at [email protected].