2023 DA FRANCE WOMEN'S CAUCUS ELECTION CANDIDATES
The nomination period for the DA France Women’s Caucus elections is now closed. The DAF Women’s Caucus is seeking to elect two Co-Chairs for a term of two years. Members of the Women’s Caucus will receive a ballot by email, and electronic voting will end on March 13 at 6 PM.
The Election Board is pleased to announce the candidates!
Shelley Bradford Bell
I am submitting my name as a candidate for Co-Chair, Women’s Caucus -Paris. The current political climate has created an erosion of women’s rights and challenges we must address. Reversal of Roe v Wade, healthcare, equal pay, housing, families, and a seat at the political table require our focus. We cannot react; we must organize. I’m committed and would be honored to serve.
Leadership Roles I’ve Served In:
- Appointed by Former SF Mayor Willie Brown to Vice President of the Environmental Commission, then President, Planning Commission
- I created and produced the SF International Women’s Day Awards Luncheon and Conference (2011-2018), recognizing women who’ve worked to improve the lives of others.
My volunteer work includes:
- President - Florence Crittenton Services, a home for teen mothers
- Board - Emerge California - training women to run for political office, (SF Mayor, California’s State Controller and Lieutenant Governor among our successes)
- Board - YWCA - SF
- Chair Structural Committee SF Welfare-to-Work Committee
- Board /Interim Director of Booker T. Washington Center
- Member, SF Women’s Political Action Committee
- Currently, Board member Wells International Foundation and charter member L3 Alliance, our Women’s Empowerment group promoting Lifestyle/Legacy/Leadership by example.
Currently second vice chair of DA France and chair of DAF Grenoble, I’ve been involved in Democrats Abroad France for over a decade as a Chapter Chair and Vice Chair, National Vice Chair, and National Spokesperson. Today, I’ve decided to dedicate more of my time and energy to the fight for women's rights and run as co-chair of the DAF Women’s Caucus. A lack of reproductive freedom caused intergenerational trauma in my family, and to say I’m angry about Roe v. Wade being overturned is a massive understatement.
I see my potential role as co-chair to bring energy to the Women’s Caucus, particularly outside of Paris in the chapters. I hope to work with a co-chair who is based in Paris who can focus on the caucus activity there.
I made two videos on women’s rights for DA France which are on our YouTube channel, one on the ERA and one on my experience having an abortion, which you can see here:
ERA video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBRRRVB3yI
You Know Me video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7zjU6wBgD0
In my professional life, I’m a lecturer and yoga teacher at the Université Savoie Mont Blanc, and I have two grown up feminist sons.
All members of the DAF Women’s Caucus may vote in the leadership elections. The elections will be decided by a plurality of votes (the candidate who gets the most votes in the election wins). DAF does not accept proxy votes. The ballot includes a space for write-in candidates for all positions.
New members are welcome to join and vote. To join: www.democratsabroad.org/join. You must be a US citizen 18 years of age or older by Nov. 7, 2023 and living in France. New members may join up until the day before the election.
Questions? Please contact the DA France Women’s Caucus Election Board at:
Thank you for voting!
DAF Women’s Caucus Election Board