This event has now passed, please check out the recording from the event here:
President Biden will forgive $10,000-$20,000 in federal student loans for those who make less than $125,000 - as the key piece of a larger relief package announced on August 24. Join us for a webinar to talk about how this came about and what this means for Americans abroad.
WHEN: Thursday, September 15, 2022 View in your time zone
|1:30pm New York|
|2:30am Japan (Friday, September 16)|
|3:30am Sydney (Friday, September 16)|
WHERE: Zoom call
While there is no donation required to attend, the suggested donation for this event is $10. Click here to donate.
RSVP below, and we will send you an email with access details.
We will aim to cover questions such as:
- How do I qualify for the $10,000 federal student loan forgiveness?
- What do I do if I've defaulted on my student loans?
- What is the difference between taking the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion vs Foreign Tax Credit for my student loan payments?
- How do I get the best exchange rate to transfer money back to the US to make payments?
- Are there any other options available to get my student loan debt and payments down?
This event is for you if:
- you think you qualify for the $10,000 loan forgiveness but you're not totally sure
- defaulted on your student loans and don't know how to face it
- you've lived abroad for a long time but don't know what your student loan options are now
- you're concerned you can't afford to pay off your student loan, or
- you already know a lot but you just want a straightforward answer for a specific issue
The federal student loan relief was only possible because Democrats were elected! Make sure you register to vote to elect Democrats in the critical midterms by going to votefromabroad.org
- 6:30pm Introductions
- 6:40pm Speakers
- 7:15pm Q&A
- 7:30pm End
Add event to calendar
For those unable to attend the event, the webinar will be recorded and posted to YouTube after. Please RSVP for the event anyway to get an email with the link to the recording afterwards.
IMPORTANT: Democrats Abroad does not provide personal tax advice or recommendations. We recommend that you engage a qualified, professional tax adviser to address questions related to your personal financial situation.