2020 DPCA REGIONAL CONVENTIONS (MAY 16 & 17)
This weekend, electors and candidates will gather online to start the election process of the Democrats Abroad delegation to the 2020 Democratic National Convention. The three regional conventions will run entirely online and include US citizen participants living in almost a hundred countries. By the end of Sunday, Democrats Abroad will have elected 3 DNC members, one representing each region, and 9 National Convention at-large delegates.
The Democrats Abroad delegation will be finalized at the DA Global Convention, which will also be online, and runs June 6 and 7. At that point, 3 further at-large delegates, a Party Leader and Elected Official delegate, alternates, and 3 further DNC members will be elected to serve Democrats Abroad.
The Asia Pacific Regional Convention will start at 10:30 PM EDT, May 15, 2020.
- Registration for observers is possible at https://www.democratsabroad.org/136687/2020_ap_regional_convention
The EMEA Regional Convention will start at 04:00AM EDT, Saturday, May 16, 2020.
- Registration for observers is possible at https://www.democratsabroad.org/291100/2020_emea_regional_convention
The Americas Regional Convention will start at 11:00AM EDT, Sunday, May 17, 2020.
- Registration for observers is possible at https://www.democratsabroad.org/2020_americas_regional_convention
Who are the Electors?
Potential Electors are all elected members of an executive committee plus a country's DPCA voting representatives, elected or recognized chapter chairs of recognized chapters, plus the Regional Vice Chair (RVC) for the region.
Registered Electors are qualified Electors who have agreed that they will participate in the Regional Convention.
Each elector must be registered as a supporter of one of the two (2) Presidential Candidates who met the 15% threshold and did not withdraw from the DA delegate selection process - Biden or Sanders. Both Presidential Candidates are represented in the Americas and EMEA Conventions, and Sanders is represented in the Asia Pacific region.
The quorum for each convention is 40% of the electors who do not opt out of attending.
What they vote on:
- Election of 1 DNC Member (per region)
- Presidential Preference Group (PPG) Chairs
- Election of 1 or more delegates to the 2020 National Convention
- 1 in the Sanders PPG in the A/P Regional Convention
- 1 in the Biden PPG in the Americas Regional Caucus
- 1 in the Sanders PPG in the Americas Regional Caucus
- 3 in the Biden PPG in the EMEA Regional Caucus
- 3 in the Sanders PPG in the EMEA Regional Caucus
- Election of two Global Platform committee members per region
- Platform resolutions to be sent to the Global Platform Committee