This is one of my favorite dishes - my mother used to make this for special occasions. It's so simple, but so delicious and delicate. It's easier than ever now that so many people have an air fryer.
Erika's Agedashi Tofu
1 block medium-firm tofu*
4 Tbsp potato starch/cornstarch
3-4 cups neutral-flavored oil
1 cup kombu dashi**
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp mirin
1 inch Japanese radish
1 green onion
shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven spice) **
1. Wrap the tofu with 2-3 layers of paper towels.
2. Place on a plate and place another plate on top. This will gently press the water out of the tofu. Do this for at least 15-30 minutes. Don’t press the plates together!
3. Peel and grate the radish. Slice the green onion into thin rings.
4. Mix the dashi, mirin, and soy sauce in a small pot and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and set it aside.
5. Remove the tofu from the paper towels and slice into 8 cubes.
6. Put the starch in a deep plate and coat the tofu cubes with the starch. Shake the excess starch off.
7. Evenly drizzle approx. 1 TBSP of vegetable oil over the tofu.
8. Place the tofu in your air-fryer at 400F and cook for 8-10 minutes. Depending on your model, you may have to flip it half way through.
9. Place 2-3 cubes in a small bowl. Pour some of your sauce around (not over) it and top with the grated radish, green onions, and shichimi togarashi.
* If you have worked with tofu before, you can try this with soft tofu – it is very delicate and falls apart easily.
**available on most Amazon Europe stores if there’s no Asian store near you!