It’s already September - and that means 2020 will be here before we know it!
At our last chapter meeting, we put the call out for volunteers to help us grow our membership and GOTV for the 2020 elections. The more prepared we are, the bigger splash we can make in 2020. Opportunities range from big to small, but key areas for volunteer opportunities include:
1. Event Team Organisers: Looking for organising and planning extraordinaires to help make our local DA events extra special, working with DAA NSW leadership to develop and maintain events, whether it’s canvassing, voter registration drives, or debates watch parties
2. GOTV Team: The more people vote, the more Democrats win, so getting out the vote will be a critical piece of our 2020 work. We’ll be conducting outreach activities throughout the year, ranging from canvassing and tabling at US-focusing events to phone-banking and social media – both to Americans and non-Americans with “Tell An American to Vote.”
3. Study Abroad Team: This team will engage with local students and universities to make sure American students are registered and voting from abroad, through activities like on-campus events or outreach to university/campus/community organisations.
If you couldn’t join us last month, it’s never too late to get involved – the more, the merrier when it comes to working toward Democratic victories next November.
For more information, or if you’d like to volunteer, please contact Laura Myers, NSW Chapter State Chair, at [email protected].
Mark your calendars for our Debates watch party on 14th September, and our next Chapter Meet-Up at 6:30pm on Tuesday, 17th September, at the Aurora Hotel in Sydney.
What a great turnout we had at our most recent chapter meet-up on 20 February! It was excellent to see many new faces and have great engagement from everyone. We paired up to share our plans on how we're going to vote this year and we helped those who haven't yet requested their absentee ballots by going to votefromabroad.org.
Our main discussion centred on our GOTV efforts for the midterm elections. As a result, the following three committees were formed:
1. GOTV Events and Information Committee—the purpose of this committee is to identify events with a potentially high density of Americans and send a group of volunteers to recruit new DA members, provide GOTV information and printed material. Examples of events could centre around the Fourth of July, Obama’s visit and Clinton’s visit.
2. GOTV Marketing and Media/ Social Media Committee—the purpose of this committee is to produce a coordinated marketing strategy for our GOTV campaign activities including, but not limited to slogans, graphics, print material, social media ads and press releases.
3. GOTV Calling Campaign Committee—the purpose of this committee is to organise volunteers to take part in a calling campaign in the months leading up to the mid-term elections around September and October using the DA-funded phone banking service through Call Hub.
For more information or if you’d like to volunteer to be a part of any of these committees, please email our NSW Chapter State Secretary Rebecca Turnbow at [email protected].
Mark your calendars for our next Chapter Meet-Up at 6:30pm, on Tuesday, 20 March at the Aurora Hotel in Sydney.
Hear from the candidates and ask your questions, so you can determine who to vote for in the 2021-2023 DA Australia Executive Committee Election.
Here's the Zoom link:
Democrats Abroad Australia Annual General Meeting (DAAU AGM)
It's that time of year for our AGM!
We've had a tremendous result from our efforts over the past two years. We acted in solidarity and unity with our fellow Americans back home to Get Out The Vote from down under to ensure that we had a new direction for our country.
In this process, we saw an incredible amount of volunteer interest and new Americans joining DAAU.
This year, we'll be celebrating that as we elect a new National leadership for DAAU. Details will be released soon by the Nominating Committee for the process for nominating and how elections will occur.
We will hold this meeting online due to the uncertainty of the border situation in Australia. This is to ensure that there is equity in the election process and accessibility for attendance.
Our draft agenda will include:
- The Chair (and Vice-Chair) Report
- The Treasurer’s Report and approval of the accounts
- Secretary’s and Membership Report
- Election of New Officers
- Any Other Business
Please register below if you plan to attend, details will be released soon about how to join!
Do you like this page?