Welcome to Democrats Abroad Alberta!
DA Alberta is a chapter of DA Canada, the official country committee for US Democrats living in Canada. Watch this space for upcoming announcements of meetings and events - we have events planned throughout the year, and encourage anyone interested in participating to get in touch.
Hundreds of American citizen volunteers across Canada are working to educate all eligible U.S. voters on their right to vote and how to get their ballots to vote in every election. That includes Canadians who were born in the U.S. and those born in Canada to an American parent(s), who therefore have the right to vote. Americans living in Canada CAN deliver the difference in close elections.
Go to VoteFromAbroad.org today to register for your ballot!
If you have questions or would like to help with Democrats Abroad in Alberta, please contact us.
Kimberly Johnson, Chapter Chair
Democrats Abroad - Alberta
NOTICE OF 2020 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
SUNDAY, MARCH 28, 2021
2:00 PM Mountain Time on WebEx
The Board of Democrats Abroad Canada - Edmonton
invites you to attend your Annual General Meeting
The AGM is an opportunity for chapter leaders to report to the membership on the activities for the previous year.
During the AGM, elections for the chapter leadership for the 2021-23 term will take place.
A Call for Nominations was distributed to the members on Feb. 8th and you can access Candidate Statements by clicking here.
Some offices did not receive nominations, which will be open for nominations from the floor during the AGM. Only members present in the AGM will be able to vote for any nominations from the floor. Ballots will be distributed on March 13th. If you are interested in an office without a declared candidate please send an email to the Nominations & Elections Committee prior to March 12th.
DemsAbroad Canada - Edmonton
Nominations & Elections Committee
Marnelle Dragila, Chair
Steve Nardi, Teller of Elections
What a wonderful Inauguration Week we recently witnessed! As we are celebrating and gearing up to strengthen our control of Congress in the 2022 election, we are also sobered by the disturbing events in the Capitol Building in early January. We are ever reminded that democracy is fragile and our work to protect and strengthen it is more important than ever, and we invite you to share in shaping the future of America.
An important next step for the Edmonton Chapter
is to elect our Board for the 2021-2023 term.
You may serve a leadership role from anywhere in the chapter, whether you live in Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Jasper, or Lacombe. As the Nominations and Elections Committee, we invite you to learn about the Board positions and to consider a nomination.
Eligibility: American citizens residing in Canada, legal voting age, a member in good standing of the Democrats Abroad Canada – Edmonton chapter, and willing and able to handle the duties while adhering to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States.
Terms are two (2) years. As a Board member you will be expected to actively participate in the management of the Chapter, including attendance at monthly board meetings, either in-person or virtually. A Board member who has served two consecutive terms in the same office may only be nominated for a third term from the floor during the AGM by the members present, should no other candidate be nominated for that office. Please refer to the Democrats Abroad Canada Bylaws for more details.
Here are actions you can take:
- Learn about the Officer positions
- The chapter is seeking to elect the following positions. CLICK HERE for a brief overview of each position.
- Vice Chair
- Member-at-Large (2 positions)
- Attend the Candidate Information Session
- Join Chapter leaders for an informational Q&A session for members to learn about what’s involved. Saturday, Feb. 13, 2021 2:00 PM MT on WebEx CLICK HERE TO RSVP for access details
- Complete the Nomination & Candidate Statement form
The deadline for submitting a nomination is 11:59 PM ET Monday, February 22, 2021.
- Nominate yourself, or a fellow Democrats Abroad - Edmonton member, with their permission, by completing the Nomination form at this link.
- Include a Candidate Statement of 300 words or less. Tell us about your reasons for running and any applicable experience within Democrats Abroad or elsewhere. Include social media handles.
- Alternatively, you may send a written Candidate Nomination through postal mail. You must include
- Your name, email address & phone number
- Name & contact details of the member being nominated, and the office being nominated for. Consent must be received by the member if nominating someone other than yourself.
- Candidate Statement
- Send to DemsAbroad Edmonton Nominations
c/o S Nardi
1153 Mirada Pl
Mississauga, ON L5H 3B6
- Nomination forms mailed must be received by 11:59 PM ET Monday, Feb. 22, 2021.
Look for important updates in the future. The AGM Notice and Candidate Statements will be published Feb. 26th and the ballot will be distributed on Mar. 13th.
Email the Nominating and Elections Committee with any questions!
Democracy needs our time, talents, and votes!
DemsAbroad Canada – Edmonton Chapter
Nominations and Elections Committee