DA Canada Leadership:
Many members have reached out asking about the CARES Act impact for Americans living abroad. Fortunately the Democrats Abroad Taxation Task Force has prepared a report to share.
Congress has passed the Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act and the president has signed it into law. Americans abroad will be interested in understanding the law's aid provisions and how they can access them. This is a summary of key aid provisions that are or may be relevant to Americans abroad –
- Americans abroad who meet the income eligibility criteria (adjusted gross income under $99,000) are entitled to the Recovery Rebate (up to $1,200 payment plus $500 per child)
- Taxpayers who have provided bank account details with their tax filing will likely be receiving payments by direct deposit in the next 2-3 weeks, with others likely receiving checks or debit cards through the post
- Treasury has been provided with flexibility in the language of the bill for providing the cash aid to citizens who have not filed tax returns in 2018 or 2019. We will follow this closely.
- Individuals with federal student loans automatically have their interest rate set to 0% for 60 days and can request forbearance (a suspension of payments) for 60 days.
- Small businesses have been provided with range of supports to enable them to retain their employees and keep paying their salaries and benefits, via an existing SBA loan product whose eligibility criteria have been greatly relaxed. This MAY enable Americans abroad with small businesses to qualify for the support.
A great many questions remain about how these and the myriad other relief mechanisms in the historic $2 trillion dollar package are to be implemented. Treasury and the IRS have a lot of work ahead of them.
The Board of Democrats Abroad Canada invites you to attend your
Annual General Meeting
To report to the membership the accomplishments and financial status of the Canada country committee during 2019.
Sunday, March 22, 2020
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm EDT
Via WebEx and possibly in-person at some chapters. Watch for announcements from your chapter or contact your local chapter chair.
All Members of Democrats Abroad Canada
Via WebEx online or through the iOS or Android WebEx app. Access instructions will be emailed to registered attendees the week prior.
Chair, Democrats Abroad Canada
The official business of the meeting is:
- Call to order
- Approve the agenda
- Report from the chapter chair on 2019 activities
- Approval of minutes from previous AGM
- Approval of treasurer report
- Discuss plans for the coming months
- Meeting adjourned
During the week before the AGM, WebEx instructions to join this online meeting will be emailed to those who have RSVP'd.
All Democrats Abroad Canada (DAC) members in our Chapter, which includes Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Elmira, Elora, Wellesley, Stratford and surrounding areas, to attend. Our Chapter in now 512 strong, with 76 new members since January 1! This AGM is critical to formalizing how our Chapter operates and to planning a great program of member engagement. Your active participation is very important -- together we can magnify our impact towards bringing positive change to the U.S. through the November elections.