Our Party Our Goals Our Impact Our Leadership DNC Members Our Country Committees Updates and News Our History Press and Contact Media & Podcast ResourcesBecome a Member Volunteer Find An Event Phonebank Voter Assistance Training Tiny Actions Contact Your Representatives 2024 Global Primary 2024 Convention & AGM
Tuesday, December 31
(RECORDING) How To File Your Own US Taxes For Americans AbroadRSVP
THIS EVENT HAS PASSED.
SCROLL DOWN TO DONATE $7.50 FOR THE RECORDING.
Want to save money on an accountant and learn how to file your own US taxes as an American abroad?
Join us for this online workshop on the basics of filling in the forms for your US tax return.
WHEN: Wednesday, February 21 from 1:00-3:00pm EST (view your time zone)
|1:00pm New York
|3:00am Japan (Thurs, Feb 22)
|5:00am Sydney (Thurs, Feb 22)
$50 General Admission or $25 Retired/Student/Unemployed. Recording available. All proceeds go to Democrats Abroad.
*LIMITED TO 50 LIVE WEBINAR TICKETS* Scroll to the bottom for tickets
The aim of this event is to explain how to file your own US taxes by reviewing the forms required for a basic tax return filing for an American abroad. Presented by Liz Zitzow from British American Tax.
The session will go line-by-line over the following forms:
- Form 1040 (U.S. Individual Income Tax Return)
- Form 2555 (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion)
- Schedule 1 (Additional Income and Adjustments to Income)
- Schedule 3 (Additional Credits and Payments)
- Additional forms may be covered if there's enough demand in the pre-submitted questions (note that Form 1116 will be mentioned, but it is recommended to use tax prep software for this form due to its complexity)
This session is for you if:
- You want to try filling out the forms to file yourself, and want a "101" to get started
- You've been filing yourself by hand, but you want to check you're doing certain things right
- You want a better understanding of the information required in the forms and their purpose
Attendees are asked to please pre-submit any questions you have using this form by Friday, February 16. The more questions we get in advance, the better we can prepare and shape the program around the things you want to learn about the most!
If you are unable to attend this event you can select the recording ticket option (scroll to the bottom of this page)
Add event to calendar
The fine print:
- No refunds are available.
- We can't guarantee we will be able to answer all questions submitted before, during, or after the event, but we will try to answer as many questions as possible.
Please click here to add yourself to the Democrats Abroad Taxation Task Force mailing list to keep up to date with the actions and upcoming events.
Disclaimer: Democrats Abroad cannot provide individual tax advice. We are not tax lawyers, accountants or advisers. Please consult a professional tax adviser/accountant/return preparer when addressing your personal tax matters.
We recommend the IRS Tax Return Preparer Directory to find a service provider who meets your needs and budget, though buyers need always beware. Democrats Abroad suggests Americans abroad in need of tax advice consult the IRS Tax Return Preparer Directory to find an advisor or tax return preparer near you or providing online services: https://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf
Tuesday, December 31, 2024 at 10:59 PM Eastern Time (US & Canada) Time
Democrats Abroad Taxation Task Force