On March 25 the Senate Finance Committee held a hearing on "International Tax Policy and the Impact on American Workers, Jobs and Investment". Democrats Abroad provided written testimony to the Committee hearing to raise the issues Americans abroad face in complying with U.S. taxation and financial account reporting compliance. You can download the Democrats Abroad submission here. You will note that we have joined our colleague organizations advocating on behalf of the Americans abroad community in asking for hearings on U.S. Taxation and Americans abroad and a switch to Residency Based Taxation.
Democrats Abroad continues to receive messages with questions about pandemic aid and how to access it. If you have questions we encourage you to read on and also to:
- review our past postings about accessing the first two aid programs and about how to cash a U.S. government check from abroad;
- view a recording of our webinar about the second round of COVID aid; and
- consider attending one of these upcoming tax webinars being hosted by DA Country Committees.
The next (third) round of pandemic aid for individuals is coming as part of the American Rescue Plan, which was passed in the Senate this past weekend. The bill is widely expected to be passed by the House and signed by President Biden by the end of the week commencing Monday March 8.
We think this is the best reporting on the American Rescue Plan aid to individuals, or Economic Impact Payment 3 (EIP3) e.g. eligibility; how to get the $1,400 payment; how and when it will come. Read on for further advice on positioning yourself to receive EIP3 as quickly as possible.
Join us on tax day (April 15th) for tax lunch power hour. This event will be an open discussion on US taxes, we'll talk about debunking tax myths, and discuss self-filing or choosing an accountant.
This event will not be recorded so everyone feels able to share and talk freely.
Join Democrats Abroad as tax expert Nathalie Goldstein MsC, EA and CEO of MyExpatTaxes discusses how to receive your third $1,400 Economic Impact Payment as an American living abroad, plus discusses 101 tax basics.
The webinar will cover common questions like:
- How can I receive my payment if I moved?
- Can I still receive the $1,200 from last year?
- How can I receive a direct transfer rather than a check?
- How can I receive my payment if I haven't filed my US taxes for a long time?
- How do I obtain the additional $600 per qualifying child?
- Can I get $1,200 if I'm married to a non-US spouse?
WHEN: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 9am CET View in your time zone
WHERE: Zoom call
RSVP below, and we will send you an email with access details.
While there is no donation required to attend, we hope you’ll consider a donation of $10. Click here to donate.
Thank you for your support - we look forward to you joining the webinar!
IMPORTANT: Democrats Abroad does not provide personal tax advice or recommendations. We recommend that you engage a qualified, professional tax adviser to address questions related to your personal financial situation.