Dear Democrats Abroad,
It is time for our bi-annual election of international Democratic Party Committee Abroad (DPCA) officers. Note that these are global positions, not at the country level. The Elections Committee is pleased to be calling for nominations of candidates for the following positions:
Here is a summary of the requirements per the Democrats Abroad Charter, Article Four:
- An individual qualified for DPCA office shall have been a member of Democrats Abroad for more than six (6) months prior to the close of nominations for the DPCA election; i.e., September 23, 2020). See below for closing date and link to the nomination form.
- Each international officer shall serve a term of two years, and none may serve for more than two consecutive terms in the same office.
- The International Chair and International Vice Chair must be of different sex, as declared by each candidate in advance of the election. The term "sex" is defined as male, female, intersex, or any other classification of sex or gender that is legally recognized by any state or federal jurisdiction.
- No more than two of the officers may be from the same Country Committee at the time of the election, and such offices shall be held by individuals from at least two (2) different Regions.
- The International Counsel must be a qualified legal practitioner.
- As called for in the DPCA Charter, the Nominations and Elections Committee (NEC) is required to forward to the International Chair and other members of the DPCA, the names of the qualifying individuals nominated by the NEC, at least forty-five (45) days in advance of the scheduled election meeting of the DPCA.
The annual Democrats Abroad Global Meeting is currently scheduled to be held online from May 14-16, 2021 (EDT).
The DPCA Charter provides that nominations of qualified candidates for office may be made from the floor of the election meeting.
The newly elected officers assume their duties after the elections held at the online 2021 annual Democrats Abroad Global Meeting.
Please submit nominations via the nomination form by clicking here no later than midnight GMT (8:00 p.m. EDT) on March 23, 2021. This date and time shall be the 'close of nominations '
Any comments or questions can be sent to the Nominations and Elections Committee at [email protected].
At present, the international officers are:
Chair – Julia Bryan (Czechia)
Vice-Chair – Alex Montgomery (Hong Kong)
Interim Secretary – Shari Temple (Germany)
Treasurer – Lissette Wright (Canada)
Counsel – Joe Smallhoover (France)*
*Asterisks indicate officers who are in their first term and are eligible to run again.
Each nomination should contain an affirmation that the nominee is qualified to run for the office in question. That requires a confirmation of the following requirements:
(1) the nominee must be a U.S. citizen (copy of passport will be required);
(2) the nominee must be living abroad;
(3) the nominee must adhere to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States;
(4) the nominee must be a member of Democrats Abroad for more than six (6) months prior to the close of nominations for the DPCA election; and
(5) the nominees for international counsel must be qualified to practice law
Each nominee will be asked to complete a questionnaire to provide a detailed candidate profile that will be available on the DA website. Candidates from historically-underrepresented backgrounds are especially encouraged to stand for office (whether nominated by another or self-nominated).
Please direct any questions to [email protected].
Respectfully submitted by the DPCA 2021 Nominations and Elections Committee (2021),
Asha Subas (United Kingdom) - Chair
Edgar Lopez (Mexico)
Eliot Goldman (France)
Gail Ann Fagen (Italy)
Michael Ramos (Australia)
Rachel Eugster (Canada)
Suma Shamanna (India)
Tim Ellis (Canada)