2021 Nominations and Elections Committee General Guidance and Answers
The Democrats Abroad Nominations and Elections Committee (‘NEC’) has agreed to the following guidelines for this election cycle. This is a ‘living’ document and will be updated as questions come in. Any questions or concerns please email us at [email protected]
I. Candidates and Campaigning
- Nominations may be submitted via the nomination form by clicking here no later than midnight GMT (8:00 p.m. EDT) on March 23, 2021.
- During the nomination period, a nominee may receive correspondence from the NEC regarding information provided or requiring clarification. This is in no way an indication of their eligibility for the qualified individuals (‘candidate’) list unless stated otherwise.
- The list of all the candidates will be released per the Democrats Abroad Charter (‘Charter’) requirement, 45-days in advance of the scheduled election meeting. In the case at hand, 45-days in advance is currently on or before March 30, 2021 depending on timezone.
- Potential candidates may continue with their various roles and responsibilities within Democrats Abroad (‘DA’). There is no requirement for potential candidates to sequester or otherwise recuse themselves from their regular activities, roles and responsibilities prior to the election--nor will those confirmed as candidates be required to do so.
- Candidates may not discuss or promote their candidacy or campaign using DA resources without consent from the NEC. ‘DA resources’ includes, but is not limited to, DA databases, DA social media platforms, DA contact lists, DA events and meetings.
- As has been done in the past, the NEC will provide some opportunities for candidates to put forward candidate statements and interact with membership. For the sake of equal treatment, we will announce these opportunities simultaneously to all eligible candidates to avoid undue advantage.
II. The NEC and Its Role
- The NEC has a specific, defined mandate under the Charter to oversee the nominations, qualifications and elections process for the five international officer positions. These are:
- International Chair
- International Vice Chair
- International Secretary
- International Treasurer
- International Counsel
- Throughout DA, activities and elections are taking place at all levels of the organization. Outside our mandate, we have no authority over or ability to impose consequences on country committees, caucuses, regions, members or their activities.
- NEC members have many roles and responsibilities outside of the global NEC (e.g. involvement in events, caucuses, country committee/regional elections). We are not and will not require our members to sequester from such DA activities.
- Per the charter, the NEC members shall not be candidates for office nor be elected to office. The NEC members, in the interest of being neutral and avoiding conflicts of interests, have decided not to nominate or endorse candidates for office.
- The NEC takes its role seriously and will do its utmost to be fair, neutral and transparent. NEC members will endeavor to ensure all candidates have the same information at the same time and avoid ‘information asymmetry.’ Thus, the NEC will keep deliberations and decision making as confidential within the NEC as possible until a formal decision is made by the NEC that can be disseminated to all relevant parties.
- The NEC itself will not be joining any closed forums or groups where the information discussed will not be available to membership.
- The NEC takes precedent seriously, but we will make adjustments as necessary within our mandate in order to ensure a smooth process for both the NEC and the candidates.
- All questions, clarifications or complaints to the NEC should go through the [email protected] email. All NEC members have access to this email inbox. We will try to provide guidance where possible. Please be aware, we have no capacity to conduct ‘internal investigations’ or act as a ‘tip line’ or ‘whistleblower line.’ We cannot guarantee anonymity.
III. Elections Process/Procedure
- The election meeting will be held during the online Annual Democrats Abroad Global Meeting currently scheduled for May 14 - 16, 2021 depending on timezone. The election meeting is currently scheduled to occur in the middle of that meeting.
- Nominations of qualified candidates from the floor will be permitted. The procedures and process, however, are still to be determined.