Our annual 4th of July BBQ potluck is around the corner! We are celebrating our country's independence on Sunday, July 7th at noon at the Grillhütte in Eppelheim. Please join us for good food, fun, and some interesting activities. NOTE: There will be NO First Friday meeting on July 5th.
Since we are celebrating the Heidelberg Chapter’s 25th Anniversary, we have invited some special guests – current and former leaders of Democrats Abroad. Every year, we read an important historical document from U.S. history. This year we will have a reading of and short discussion about Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have A Dream” speech. For the kids (large and small) there will be some activities, including Pokemon and maybe water balloon tossing again. Angie has promised to do one of her famous Pub Quizzes (with prizes). The Grillhütte has a sandbox and plenty of space for younger kids to play in, so bring the family. There is also an inside area and a covered area in case the weather doesn’t cooperate. And, importantly, there are bathrooms.
Please RSVP at this website or email Nancy at Heidelberg@democratsabroad.de so that we have an idea how many people are coming and what you are bringing.
Where: Eppelheim Grillhütte (Am Sportplatz in Eppelheim – then look for the sign to Grillhütte) Bus 22 from Bismarckplatz will get you 1 Kilometer from the Grillplatz. Let me know if you need a shuttle from there, and I’ll give you my mobile number.
What to bring: Please bring a dish to share (e.g., salad, dessert), and something for the grill. It would be nice if you bring your own dishes, but paper plates, cups as well as metal utensils will be provided as needed. Water and some soft drinks are provided, but feel free to bring your own choice of beverage.
Join us at the Christopher Street Day Parade in Mannheim on August 10th! The Heidelberg Chapter of Democrats Abroad has a place in the parade to support our friends in the LGBTQ community, and this is also the 50 year anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, so is an especially significant year. We’ve got a big Pride banner and flags to carry, and it would be great if you want to make your own sign. We will also have a Democrats Abroad stand at the Ehrenhof (large courtyard) of the Mannheim Castle, where the parade ends. There will be live music, entertainment and food there.
- 13:30 Meet up and get ready for the start. It begins in the middle of the Quadrate, but the exact location is yet to be announced (traditionally it has been near the Abendakadamie). Stay posted for exact meet-up information
- 14:00 is the official start of the parade.
- Around 16:00 the parade ends at the Mannheimer Schloßhof, where you can buy drinks and food. We plan to get together at the Democrats Abroad stand for food and drinks, so look for us where all the info. stands are.
- Bring your friends and family. This is a serious cause, but a really fun event! Be colorful, be celebratory, just be yourself.
- It would be a good idea to bring your own water and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- If you RSVP, you will be informed of the latest information.
This event is so much fun, so come on out and be a part of it!