Nominations are now open for volunteers to serve two-year terms on our Executive Committee beginning in March 2023. With strong leadership and member participation in the last two years, DAPT not only achieved official country committee status but also became the world leader among Dems Abroad country committees in terms of membership growth and percentage of ballot requests. We seek dynamic leaders to help maintain this momentum and, in return, promise strong support from previous leadership and continued commitment from the general membership.
Following are details about positions and responsibilities and how to nominate yourself or other members.
Positions and Responsibilities
These positions and responsibilities are similar to the organizational structure used by all Democrats Abroad Country Committees. For more detailed descriptions, see this webpage.
- Voting Member of Democratic Party Committee Abroad
- Responsibilities: As overall manager of the organization, ensures compliance with charter, bylaws, and rules of the Democratic Party, Democrats Abroad (DA), Democrats Abroad Portugal (DAPT), and the Federal Election Commission. Ensures that DAPT officers are completing their tasks; organizes and conducts Executive Committee meetings and the Annual General Meeting; oversees member communications. In collaborations with other Executive Committee members, recruits and trains DAPT volunteers. Helps raise funds. Consults with DA’s Regional Vice-Chair and attends monthly regional meetings by WebEx; collaborates with regional DA leaders and committees. Attends and votes at annual DA Global Meeting.
- Useful Skills: Team and meeting management, leadership, diplomacy, organization, self-starter, collaboration and coordination.
- Voting Member of Democratic Party Committee Abroad
- Responsibilities: Partners with Chair to assume delegated responsibilities and steps in for Chair if needed. Attends monthly regional meetings by WebEx. Attends and votes at DA’s Annual Global Meeting.
- Useful Skills: Team, project, and meeting management, leadership, diplomacy, self-starter, communication and teamwork.
- Responsibilities: Ensures compliance with financial regulations. Keeps financial records and makes them available on request for membership review. Manages bank account(s) and pays DAPT bills. Establishes budget. Prepares and makes annual financial report.
- Useful Skills: Organization, familiarity with basic technology (e.g., Google Docs, Excel or equivalent), basic bookkeeping and budgeting, collaboration and teamwork.
- Responsibilities: Records and archives minutes of Executive Committee meetings and Annual General Meeting. Maintains administrative files and records. Assists Chair with Annual General Meeting membership certification. Reviews and approves new DAPT member requests and sends welcome messages to new members. In absence of an appointed database manager, attends DA-required database management training and certification and manages DAPT database. Submits information to International Secretary by appointed dates and consults with Global IT team as needed.
- Useful Skills: Organization, familiarity with basic technology (e.g., Google Docs, email, simple databases, and website revisions), writing, teamwork and collaboration.
- Responsibilities: Consults with Executive Committee on legal and procedural questions relating to DAPT and its activities.
- Useful Skills: Resourceful, knowledge of DAPT information or where to find it, collaboration and teamwork.
At-Large Executive Committee Members (Up to 6):
- Responsibilities: May take on some of the following roles: Get Out The Vote (GOTV—phone banking, voter registration and assistance), Communications, IT, Caucus, Membership Engagement, Fundraising and Events.
- Useful Skills: Organization, self-starter, communications, teamwork and, depending on role, knowledge of technology.
Democratic Party Committee Abroad Voting Representative (1):
- Responsibilities: Democratic Party Committee Abroad (DPCA) Voting Representatives and Alternate Voting Representatives participate in certain DPCA conventions, meetings, and policy-related decision-making, and stay up to date on DPCA activities, including meetings and matters for deliberation. To that end, they are encouraged to attend DACA Board meetings but have no right to vote on Board business, unless they hold another position that grants voting rights.
- Note: Candidacy declarations shall include an acknowledgment of the duties of the position and intent to participate in person or by teleconference in meetings at which DPCA Voting Representatives are expected to participate or to cast votes.
- Useful Skills: Interest in Democratic party policy and procedures, ability to attend at least 2 virtual meetings per year.
Alternate Democratic Party Committee Abroad Voting Representative (1-2):
- Responsibilities: See DPCA Voting Representative
- Note re Nominee Submission: See DPCA Voting Representative
- Useful Skills: See DPCA Voting Representative
How to Submit a Nomination
Nominations must be submitted by email to [email protected] or by submitting this online form by Noon, February 28, 2023. All emails will be acknowledged. Members may self-nominate and/or nominate as many other members as desired. Nominees must give their consent to stand for election and must be willing and able to handle duties of the office while adhering to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States.
We encourage members to run for multiple positions, especially for Chair and Vice-Chair, because bylaws of the Democratic National Committee and Democrats Abroad require those who hold these positions to be of different genders (male, female, or non-binary). Ballots will be counted first for Chair, then for Vice-Chair, followed by other officers and Executive Council members. Those who are elected for a specific position will be removed from consideration for subsequent positions.
All candidates must submit a complete nomination packet by February 28. The Nominations and Election Committee will contact nominees to request a complete nomination packet. The nomination packet consists of:
- Position for which the nomination(s) is submitted.
- First/last name(s), as should appear on the DAPT website, in member communications, and on the election ballot.
- Email address(es) (will not be shared without permission).
- Please write a Candidate Statement to be made publicly available to members (up to 500 words) that incorporates responses to the questions below. You may also include any additional information that you wish, including prior DAPT volunteer experience or leadership roles, as well as links to a website, online profile, or other online media. If running for an At-Large Executive Committee Membership position, please describe your interest in any particular roles or activities.
- What are two things that you like about Democrats Abroad Portugal, and why?
- What experiences, personal attributes, and technical competencies would you bring to the position(s) you seek?
- As an officer or Executive Committee member, how would you contribute to Democrats Abroad Portugal and help it grow?
Interested in Volunteering?
Member commitment is essential to continuing to grow our organization. If you are unable to run for a position at this time, but would like to become a more active participant in Democrats Abroad Portugal, please send an email to [email protected]. Let us know about your skills and interests and we’ll pass this information along to the newly elected Executive Committee.
- February 14, 2023 - Nominations Open
- Noon, February 28, 2023 - Deadline for Nominations & Packet Submission
- March 6, 2023 – Voting Opens (Electronic), Ballot and Voter Guide Emailed to Members
- 7:00 p.m., March 14, 2023 – Virtual Candidate Town Hall
- March 7, 2023 – Deadline to Join Democrats Abroad Portugal and Participate in Election
- Noon, March 21, 2023 – Voting Closes (no in-person voting at AGM)
- 7:00 p.m., March 22, 2023 - Annual General Meeting (Virtual), Nominations and Elections Committee Announces Election Results
- 7:00 p.m, March 24, 2023 - Initial Executive Committee Transition/Organization Virtual Meeting (candidates should pencil this in, in case they are elected)
The Nominations and Elections Committee
Mary Campbell, Chair
Democrats Abroad Portugal: https://www.democratsabroad.org/pt
Democrats Abroad: http://www.democratsabroad.org/
Democratic National Committee: https://democrats.org