Minutes of the Executive Committee of Democrats Abroad Guatemala
Wednesday, May 4, 2016
Present: John Chudy, Acting Chair; Tom Totino, Treasurer; Britini Port, Media Contact; Kee Kalwara, Issues and Events Committee; Lyn Totino, Secretary; Hyungjoon Jin, Guatemala City MeetUp Group Chair.
- Call to order: 3:34 pm. Motion to approve the minutes of last meeting and the agenda for the day, passed unanimously.
- Treasurer report was presented by Tom Totino. Our balance as of May 1 is Q2,971.
- Movie Night ‘The Big Short’ was shown at Kafka on April 27. Although Kafka worked well for debate night it was not good for a movie because of noise from other customers. Kee would like suggestions from members for other movie venues. She would also appreciate suggestions for movies.
- Voter registration will be held this Saturday at Enlaces from 11am until 2pm. Hyung has volunteered to be there to learn the process and assist. There will be other voter registration events on June 11, July 16 and August 13. Volunteers are needed. Hyung will organize an event in the capitol for May 21. He will be working on other events for Democrats Abroad in Guatemala City noting that there is a lot of interest among teachers there. These events are one way to make sure members vote. We need to take back the Senate and the House and keep the presidency. It’s vital: Vote Blue No Matter Who.
- On July 4th there will be a ‘Sundowner with Fireworks’ event at Casa Convento Concepción from 6 to 8 pm. Tom Totino will confirm the reservation so an ad can be submitted to Revue by May 10. Britini suggested doing voter registration at the annual Peace Corps picnic earlier on July 4th.
- There will not be a Labor Day picnic in September. Instead there will be a FWAB party/picnic: details are yet to be determined.
- An election night party is being planned for November. The venue remains undecided.
- John will be attending the Democrats Abroad Global meeting in Berlin in May.
4. Travel notes:
John will be gone May 10 to 17 and July 20 to September 14.
Britini will be gone from May 25 to June 20.
Hyung will be gone from June 10 to July 25.
Tom and Lyn will be gone from May 17 to June 15.
Meeting adjourned at 4:50 pm.