Free Webinar on Filing U.S. Taxes from Africa
Learn about basic tax-filing obligations and get answers to commonly-asked tax questions.
This webinar is for you, if you:
- recently moved to an African country from the U.S. and are unsure of your tax obligations
- haven't filed U.S. taxes for decades
- are scared to face your tax filing obligations
- don't know how to get started
- filed U.S. taxes for years but are unsure you're doing it correctly
- want straightforward answers for specific issues
Commonly-asked questions include:
- When is the tax filing deadline for taxpayers living in Africa?
- How much do I have to earn before filing U.S. taxes?
- How do I manage my student loans while living in Africa?
- Can I open a pension in an African country?
- Do I have to pay capital gains tax to the IRS when I sell my house or property in Africa?
- How much do I have to earn before being double-taxed?
- Do I get double-taxed if I'm self-employed or have a business in Africa?
John Benson, Chartered Certified Accountant, USA & South Africa
Nathalie Goldstein, CEO and IRS Enrolled Agent @ MyExpatTaxes
- Welcome, housekeeping, and introductions - 10 minutes
- Speaker presentations - 15 minutes per speaker - 30 minutes
- Q&A - 45 minutes
- Closing with contact information for Democrats Abroad and speakers - 5 minutes
Please submit your questions in advance via this form to prepare and shape the program around what most interests you. The deadline for submitting questions in advance is Wednesday, March 29, 2023. Questions may also be asked during the webinar.
This event will be recorded. Those unable to attend the webinar on March 12th, please sign up anyway and you'll receive a copy of the recording after the event. If you would like to receive regular updates from Democrats Abroad and you are not yet a member, please sign up here.
We cannot guarantee that all questions submitted before, during, or after the event will be answered, but we will try to answer as many questions as possible. Participants are encouraged to contact their state tax office, the IRS, or private tax advisers directly for any unanswered questions.
This event is closed to the press.
Disclaimer: Democrats Abroad cannot provide individual tax advice. We are not tax lawyers, accountants or advisers. Please consult a professional tax adviser/accountant/return preparer when addressing your personal tax matters.
We recommend the IRS Tax Return Preparer Directory to find a service provider who meets your needs and budget, though buyers need always beware. Democrats Abroad suggests Americans abroad in need of tax advice consult the IRS Tax Return Preparer Directory to find an advisor or tax return preparer near you or providing online services: https://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf
|View Your Timezone: http://timee.io/3rk||LOCATION||LOCAL TIME|
Add event to calendar
|Johannesburg, South Africa
4:00 - 5:30 pm SAST
5:00 - 6:30 pm EAT
10:00 - 11:30 AM EDT
Do you like this page?