This year’s International Women’s Day is focused on the theme of #PressForProgress. With global activism for women's equality fuelled by movements like #MeToo, #TimesUp, and an unprecedented number of female candidates running for office in the US this year, there is strong momentum for gender parity. But we can’t be complacent.
This week’s Tiny Action: Push for Progress this International Women’s Day
There are myriad ways to actively support gender equality today, so we’ve listed a few. We hope you’ll do some (or all!) of these, and that you’ll spread the word on social media.
- Visit IWD’s Press for Progress campaign and commit to how you’ll be fighting for gender parity in your world.
- Talk to your kids about gender equality. International Women’s Day has great resources for teachers that are also helpful for parents.
- Read up on the importance of diversity within the fight for equality, and why intersectionality isn’t a buzzword - it’s reality.
- Learn about the amazing female candidates running for office in the US this year -- and request your ballot if you haven’t already!
- Join the Democrats Abroad Global Women’s Caucus to stay engaged with us on this key issue. Like all our caucuses, the GWC is open to all interested members.
- Talk. Raise the issue of equality at work, at home, with friends and on social media. Tell people why it matters to you, and why you hope it matters to them, too.
- Men: In addition to the points above, you need to be a vocal supporter of equality not just in private but in public as well. Study up on the UN’s #HeforShe campaign. Join MARC (after you’ve joined our women’s caucus). Be an advocate for equality in your personal life and in your place of work.
As always, our aim is to turn tiny actions into big results, so we hope we can continue to count on your help! Please send suggestions for our next tiny action to info at democratsabroad dot org.