Advice from the (Adult) Kids! What they want teens and parents raising American kids in SA to know.
Democrats Abroad South Africa (DASA) invites you to a community discussion on Raising American Kids in SA! This of course includes Americans with dual or multiple nationalities.
Sunday 14 November 2021
19:00-20:30 South African Time (SAST)
The adult children of several DASA members will share their experiences, perspectives and advice. We think this will be a great session for you to bring your teens to as well!
Are you navigating the various aspects of raising kids overseas, or outside the “home” country of one of their parents:
- Building connection with both/multiple countries (and families) etc.
- Education (choosing schools has been raised my many as a challenge)
- Identity development and ensuring a sense of belonging in each “home” country
- Talking about race and social justice
- Cultural aspects
- The unique experiences and strengths of Third Culture Kids
- Ensuring they become engaged American citizens
Inspired by Maya Sudarkasa’s alumni talk for Crawford College, we’ve asked her to share further with DASA and have invited her to help us host this panel discussion. So far Alex Hopkins, Rachael Kelley and Christopher Culp Robinson have also agreed to share with us.
We hope you’ll join the discussion!
This is part of a DASA series focused on raising the next generation as socially conscious, proactive American citizens - especially targeted to those living in SA. Join us!
We invite you to submit questions for the panelists ahead of time but we’ll also have open Q&A during the session.
Contact [email protected]
RSVP below to receive the link and meeting information.