NOTICE OF 2020 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
SATURDAY, APRIL 10, 2021
2:00 PM ET on WebEx
The Board of Democrats Abroad Canada - Windsor
invites you to attend your Annual General Meeting
The Windsor Chapter is in the stage of reformation, and the AGM is an opportunity for local members to come together to discuss plans for chapter sustainability, and for a report on the activities in the Windsor area for the 2020 election.
During the AGM, elections for the chapter leadership for the 2021-23 term will take place.
A Call for Nominations was distributed to the members on Feb. 10th and you can access Candidate Statements by clicking here.
Some offices did not receive nominations, which will be open for nominations from the floor during the AGM. Only members present in the AGM will be able to vote for any nominations from the floor. Ballots will be distributed on March 20th. If you are interested in an office without a declared candidate please send an email to the Nominations & Elections Committee prior to April 10th.
DemsAbroad Canada - Niagara Region
Nominations & Elections Committee
Marnelle Dragila, Chair
Steve Nardi, Teller of Elections
The Democratic Party had tremendous wins taking back Congress and the Presidency! As we are celebrating and gearing up to strengthen our control of Congress in the 2022 election, we are also sobered by the disturbing events in the Capitol Building in early January. We are ever reminded that democracy is fragile and our work to protect and strengthen it is more important than ever, and we invite you to share in shaping the future of America.
An important next step for the Windsor Chapter
is to elect our Board for the 2021-2023 term.
The Windsor Chapter was reactivated during the 2020 election cycle, and we believe there are a number of members interested in seeing a sustainable chapter. You may serve a leadership role from anywhere in the chapter, whether you live in Windsor, Leamington, Chatham-Kent, or anywhere in the surrounding area. As the Nominations and Elections Committee, we invite you to learn about the Board positions, and to consider a nomination.
Eligibility: American citizens residing in Canada, legal voting age, a member in good standing of the Democrats Abroad Canada – Windsor chapter, and willing and able to handle the duties while adhering to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States.
Terms are two (2) years. As a Board member you will be expected to actively participate in the management of the Chapter, including attendance at monthly board meetings, either in-person or virtually. A Board member who has served two consecutive terms in the same office may only be nominated for a third term from the floor during the AGM by the members present, should no other candidate be nominated for that office. Please refer to the Democrats Abroad Canada Bylaws for more details.
Here are actions you can take:
- Learn about the Officer positions
- The chapter is seeking to elect the following positions. CLICK HERE for a brief overview of each position.
- Vice Chair
- Member-at-Large (2 positions)
- Attend the Candidate Information Session
- Join Chapter leaders for an informational Q&A session for members to learn about what’s involved. Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021 7:00 PM ET on WebEx CLICK HERE TO RSVP for access details
- Complete the Nomination & Candidate Statement form
The deadline for submitting a nomination is 11:59 PM ET Wednesday, February 24, 2021.
- Nominate yourself, or a fellow Democrats Abroad - Windsor member, with their permission, by completing the Nomination form at this link.
- Include a Candidate Statement of 300 words or less. Tell us about your reasons for running and any applicable experience within Democrats Abroad or elsewhere. Include social media handles.
- Alternatively, you may send a written Candidate Nomination through postal mail. You must include
- Your name, email address & phone number
- Name & contact details of the member being nominated, and the office being nominated for. Consent must be received by the member if nominating someone other than yourself.
- Candidate Statement
- Send to DemsAbroad Windsor Nominations
c/o S Nardi
1153 Mirada Pl
Mississauga, ON L5H 3B6
- Nomination forms mailed must be received by 11:59 PM ET Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2021.
Look for important updates in the future. The AGM Notice and Candidate Statements will be published Mar. 11th and the ballot will be distributed on Mar. 26th.
Email the Nominating and Elections Committee with any questions!
Democracy needs our time, talents, and votes!
DemsAbroad Canada – Windsor Chapter
Nominations and Election Committee
Marnelle Dragila, Chair
Steve Nardi, Teller of Elections
Welcome to Democrats Abroad Windsor!
DA Windsor is a chapter of DA Canada, the official country committee for US Democrats living in Canada. Watch this space for upcoming announcements of meetings and events - we have events planned throughout the year, and encourage anyone interested in participating to get in touch.
Hundreds of American citizen volunteers across Canada are working to educate all eligible U.S. voters on their right to vote and how to get their ballots to vote in every election. That includes Canadians who were born in the U.S. and those born in Canada to an American parent(s), who therefore have the right to vote. Americans living in Canada CAN deliver the difference in close elections.
Go to VoteFromAbroad.org today to register for your ballot!
If you have questions or would like to help with Democrats Abroad in Windsor, please contact us.
Michael Breshgold, Chapter Chair
Democrats Abroad - Windsor