2020 is going to be a pivotal year for the future of American democracy. At Democrats Abroad Germany, we remain committed to mobilizing the over 100,000 Americans in Germany to restore respect, dignity, and ingenuity to our nation’s highest offices.
Getting Republicans out and Democrats in next year, however, is going to be a collective effort. It’s going to require us to work together nationwide like never before, keeping our eyes set on one main goal: getting each and every American in Germany to vote.
As 2020 approaches, we would thus like to cordially invite you to join us in our efforts by attending the 2020 Annual General Meeting of Democrats Abroad Germany focusing on "Getting Out the Vote - At Home and Abroad" from Friday, January 24 to Sunday, January 26 at the Literaturhaus München (Salvatorplatz 1, 80333 Munich).
A great series of events are planned to help us – Democrats across Germany – connect and discuss our voter outreach efforts in 2020. These events are outlined in our tentative
- On Friday, January 24, we’ll kick off the weekend by volunteering with the Münchner Tafel, a local food bank, to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr. Day (10:00-14:00). We’ll also hear from the Women’s Caucus, which has put together a fantastic panel and performance centered around the topic “Don’t Get Mad, Get Even – Electing People Who Will Create Balance” (16:00-20:00). The first evening will come to a close with a welcome cocktail reception where we can connect with each other over drinks (starting at 19:30).
- On Saturday, January 25, the main meeting focused on “Getting Out the Vote – At Home and Abroad” will be held (9:00-17:30). We will begin with an introduction to our organization and briefly highlight our activities across Germany over the past year. Our full attention will then be directed at how we can work together nationwide to get out the vote in 2020. We will round off the main meeting by reviewing our organization’s bylaws as well as vote on any suggested changes to them. Suggested changes may be submitted until December 31, 2019, and should be directed to email@example.com. Following the meeting, we’ll gather for a three-course gala dinner at the nearby restaurant Zum Franziskaner and hear from a guest speaker passionate about getting out the vote in 2020 (19:30-22:00).
- On Sunday, January 26, we want to make sure that those from out of town have some time to see the city and have scheduled a walking tour of Munich (11:00-12:30). Following the tour, everyone is welcome to join us at the tasty vegetarian restaurant Prinz Myshkin for a farewell luncheon that will leave us invigorated for the election season ahead (12:30-14:00).
Register today for this exciting weekend with passionate and inspiring Democrats from across Germany! Registration will close on January 17, 2020. Payment must be received by January 20, 2020.
To attend the meeting, we are asking for a donation of 10€ for the Women’s Caucus event and 25€ for the main meeting on Saturday. This is an early bird offer. Beginning December 15th, the suggested donation for the main meeting will increase to 35€. Participants do have to pay for meals and coffee breaks, which are available at the following costs:
- Saturday lunch: 20€
- Saturday coffee breaks (includes two): 10€
- Saturday gala dinner (three-course meal): 40€
Under the rules of the Democratic Party and Democrats Abroad, a fee for attending the meeting is not allowed. However, we kindly ask for a donation to cover use of the Literaturhaus München, technical equipment, copies, and supplies. We ask that you donate this amount to cover the expenses of hosting the meeting and avoid drawing down the DA Germany treasury, which is devoted to getting out the vote. Participants do have to pay for meals and coffee breaks.
Stipends for Attending
DA Germany understands the accompanying financial cost of attending the Annual General Meeting. To ensure as many members are able to attend as possible, DA Germany will be offering eight stipends that will cover attendance on Saturday, the gala dinner on Saturday night, and up to 50€ for transportation costs. The deadline to apply was Saturday, November 30, and applications are no longer being accepted. Applicants will be notified about their status by Saturday, December 7.
Homestays will be available thanks to DA Germany members in the Munich area. If you are interested in having a homestay, please complete the following survey so that we can make sure you are matched with an appropriate host: “need a homestay” survey. As soon as a homestay has been found, you will be contacted via email.
For those in Munich who would be willing to host another member of DA Germany, please fill out this survey to sign up as a host: “homestay host” survey.
If you would prefer to stay in a hotel, the Munich Chapter has compiled a list of hotels, which include several hotels offering us a discounted rate.
We hope that you will join us for this weekend geared at bringing Democrats together and energizing us for the momentous 2020 election season. On behalf of the entire volunteer team already at work planning the meeting, we say:WHENJanuary 24, 2020 at 12pm - January 26, 2020 at 12pmWHERELiteraturhaus München
Google map and directions